Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Southend United 0-0 Wrexham AFC

Backs-to-the-wall defending earns point and clean sheet on the road

17 September 2022

Match Reports

REPORT | Southend United 0-0 Wrexham AFC

Backs-to-the-wall defending earns point and clean sheet on the road

17 September 2022

Resolute Wrexham stood firm to claim a clean sheet and a point away to Southend United, in a tricky encounter at Roots Hall.

Wrexham loanee Jake Hyde thought he had won the game against his parent club, only for his goal to be disallowed, while both sides missed big chances.

The Shrimpers finished the game on top but backs-to-the-wall defending, led by captain Luke Young, ensured while Wrexham’s winning streak came to an end, the Red Dragons took a point back to North Wales.

Phil Parkinson named an unchanged side for the third consecutive game, as Wrexham looked to make it six wins in a row.

But a stop-start opening game meant neither side was able to find any real rhythm in the early exchanges.

Wrexham’s first real chance fell to Anthony Forde, at the back post from Paul Mullin’s lofted cross, but the Irish wing-back’s effort was blocked.

Jordan Davies dragged a shot just wide across goal on the quarter-hour, and James Jones did likewise – though much further off target – five minutes later.

Giant striker Marcus Dackers posed an obvious aerial threat for Southend, meanwhile, but under pressure he twice failed to get enough on his headers midway through the half.

Ollie Palmer had what would prove to be Wrexham’s best chance of the game on 28 minutes – his curling effort from the edge of the area looking destined for the top corner until Collin Andeng Ndi did brilliantly to palm it away.

On 32 minutes, Dan Mooney’s corner was flicked on at the near post by Gus Scott-Morris but he glanced his header wide across goal.

Dackers then could have done better after Mooney’s trickery earned space in the area to pull back, but the striker shot straight at Mark Howard.

After a goalless first-half, neither side really shot out of the blocks in the second-half either – though Southend grew into the game after the hour.

Indeed, they thought their sustained spell of pressure on the area had paid off on 67 minutes when Jake Hyde fired in but, after a long conversation with his linesman, referee Aaron Bannister ruled it out for offside.

Young came into his own as Southend continued to turn the screw – putting in a number of key blocks and tackles on the edge of, and inside, the Wrexham area.

One block in particular saved Wrexham on 79 minutes, when substitute Wes Fonguck unleashed a low drive from distance.

A minute later, captain Nathan Ralph headed just over the bar from a superb right-wing cross.

Elliot Lee’s second-half introduction gave Wrexham a different attacking option, and he caused problems inside the last ten minutes.

From one attack he helped create, Aaron Hayden’s header – from Bent Tozer’s throw-in – was well saved by Andeng Ndi.

But Southend then finished the game on top, with Ben Tozer sticking a foot out to divert Fonguck’s shot just wide deep in stoppage time.

The goalless draw ends Wrexham’s winning streak, but keeps the Red Dragons in second place as all of the top four dropped points in the Vanarama National League.

Wrexham (3-5-2): Howard, Hayden, Tozer, Cleworth, Forde, J.Jones (Lee 68), Young, J.Davies, Mendy, Palmer, Mullin

Subs not used: Watson, Tunnicliffe, McFadzean, Dalby

Southend United (5-3-2): Andeng-Ndi, Scott-Morriss, Hobson, Kensdale, Lopata, Ralph, Miley, Mooney (Bridge 90), Husin (Wreh 77), Hyde (Fonguck 77), Dackers

Subs not used: Powell, Demetriou

Referee: Aaron Bannister

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account