Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Wrexham AFC 4 – 1 Dagenham & Redbridge

Palmer and Mullin hit two goals apiece in dominant home win

13 September 2022

Match Reports

REPORT | Wrexham AFC 4 – 1 Dagenham & Redbridge

Palmer and Mullin hit two goals apiece in dominant home win

13 September 2022

Ollie Palmer and Paul Mullin each scored twice as Wrexham stormed to a dominant home win against Dagenham & Redbridge.

Each striker scored a header in the first-half and added to their tallies after the break, and not only Junior Morias’ late consolation could dampen the atmosphere as Wrexham made it five wins in a row.

The Red Dragons dominated from start to finish to make it 20 goals in the last five games, and maintain their 100 per cent home record.

Wrexham started on the front foot from the very first whistle, forcing a throw-in within a minute, but Ben Tozer’s delivery was caught by Elliot Justham.

In the tenth minute, Mullin wanted a penalty but referee Andrew Miller was unmoved after the striker went down under pressure by the byline.

Moments later, James Jones hit the ball from the edge of the area but his shot was well saved by Justham low to his right.

Palmer had a shot cleared from the edge of the box on 21 minutes, and Mullin’s dipping effort was just wide in the 23rd minute but the pressure did finally tell.

Anthony Forde crossed from the right and Palmer stooped low to head in from close range on 25 minutes.

Forde and Luke Young both saw efforts deflect wide as Wrexham continued to dominate proceedings, and a string of corners saw both Palmer and Jordan Davies head wide.

Kamarl Grant, on his Dagenham debut, was perhaps fortunate to receive just a yellow card on 38 minute after a reckless lunge sent Jacob Mendy sprawling.

From the resultant free-kick, Justham saved from Aaron Hayden’s flick-on, and Mullin’s attempted backheel as he ran away from goal was blocked.

But the striker did get the second on the stroke of half-time – nodding in at the back post when a vicious corner was not dealt with.

After the break, Mullin attempted a cheeky chip just a minute into the second-half, but Justham stood tall to claim it.

There was then a long delay, however, as Yoan Zouma received treatment following a nasty fall on 48 minutes and was eventually stretchered off.

Dagenham had a couple of half-chances but struggled to test Mark Howard, while on 69 minutes Young headed Mullin’s cross back inside but it evaded Palmer.

Mullin slid home Wrexham’s third in the 72nd minute, however, finishing low across goal.

And Palmer added a fourth with 15 minutes remaining, from a similar finish, rifling in a powerful finish that took a deflection on its way in.

Morias’ thunderous strike earned a late consolation in the sixth minute of stoppage time for the visitors.

Wrexham could have added a stunning fifth a minute later, after a passing move took the Red Dragons from back to front, but Justham clawed Elliot Lee’s shot away and then denied Sam Dalby from the rebound.

But Wrexham were still left to celebrate a comfortable home win, which leaves them second in the National League.

Wrexham: Howard (GK), Forde, Hayden, Tozer, Cleworth, Mendy (McFadzean 89), J.Jones, Young (c), J.Davies, Mullin (Lee 76), Palmer (Dalby 84)

Subs: Watson, Tunnicliffe

Dagenham & Redbridge: Justham (GK), Zouma (Phipps 56), Ling, Robinson, Weston, Grant, Sagaf, Vilhete, Morias, McCallum, Walker

Subs: Strizovic, Mussa, Lawson

Referee: Jacob Miles

Attendance: 9,835

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account