Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT | Wrexham 3-2 Notts County

Ben Foster the hero as Wrexham return to the top of the National League

10 April 2023

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT | Wrexham 3-2 Notts County

Ben Foster the hero as Wrexham return to the top of the National League

10 April 2023

Elliot Lee’s strike twelve minutes from time roared Wrexham back to the top of the National League, in a dramatic five goal thriller at the Racecourse Ground.

Cedwyn Scott had a golden opportunity to claim a point at the death from the penalty spot, but Ben Foster was the hero, saving to his right to earn victory in the 97th minute.

John Bostock put Notts County ahead in fine fashion on the stroke of half time, sweeping a free-kick into the top corner.

However, Paul Mullin responded three minutes after half-time, converting from James Jones’ cross and slotting past Sam Slocombe.

Mullin this time the provider, crossed for Jacob Mendy who caressed the ball home to take the lead, but that only lasted 6 minutes, as Kyle Cameron headed in to equalise.  

Phil Parkinson responded to the defeat at Halifax by making several changes, with Ollie Palmer and Tom O’Connor back in the starting eleven, and Luke Young returning to the bench.

For Luke Williams’ side, they were boosted by the returning Ruben Rodrigues, who missed their home fixture against Wealdstone on Friday as a precaution.

The opening stages were played out with both teams trying to impose their styles on one another, with neither able to break through.

Notts looked comfortable in possession, but they struggled to penetrate the Wrexham defence from open play.

Their first opportunity was an ambitious one, with Connell Rawlinson striking from distance, but it was a comfortable one for Ben Foster to deal with.

Wrexham too were short of chances in the opening exchanges, and the closest they came was through Paul Mullin, who hit a free-kick over the crossbar.

However, it needed a real moment of quality to break the deadlock, and Bostock provided exactly that on the stroke of half time, curling his free-kick into the top corner.

Three minutes after the restart and Mullin fired Wrexham onto level terms as he met James Jones’ inch perfect cross, and slotted past Slocombe.

On the hour mark Eoghan O’Connell came agonisingly close to putting the Red Dragons ahead, with a ferocious impromptu volley which rattled the crossbar.

The Wrexham pressure continued to mount, and Mullin fizzed a surging ball into the path of Mendy who smashed past Slocombe to take the lead.

However, County weren’t done there, and substitute Sam Austin danced his way past the defence and forced Foster into making an outstanding save.

The follow-up, a set piece that caught the Wrexham defence napping, and skipper Cameron headed home unmarked past Foster to level the game.

What started as a tentative chess match turned into a blockbuster heavyweight contest, and it was Lee who put Wrexham back in front, with a simple finish into the bottom corner.

There was to be more drama, as referee Scott Tallis awarded a penalty in the 96th minute, but Foster was the hero, diving down to his right denying Scott and County what would have been a crucial point.


Wrexham: Foster (GK), Barnett, Tozer ©, O’Connor, Mendy, Cannon (Young 83’), J.Jones, Lee, Mullin, Palmer ( Dalby 70’)

Subs not used: Howard, Cleworth, McFadzean

Bookings: O’Connor (32’) Mullin (43’), Mendy (63’)

Notts County: Slocombe (GK), Nemane (J. Jones 77’), Cameron, Rawlinson, Bajrami, Chicksen, O’Brien (Austin 67’), Palmer, Bostock, Rodrigues (Scott 77’), Langstaff

Subs not used: Brooks and Vincent

Bookings: Rawlinson (40’)

Attendance: 9,924


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account