Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Wrexham 3-0 Yeovil Town

Anthony Forde, James Jones and Paul Mullin fire Wrexham to victory

18 April 2023

Match Reports

REPORT | Wrexham 3-0 Yeovil Town

Anthony Forde, James Jones and Paul Mullin fire Wrexham to victory

18 April 2023

Three second half strikes for Phil Parkinson’s men broke the record for the highest ever points total in the National League, in a resounding victory at the Racecourse Ground.

Anthony Forde got the opener on the hour mark, with James Jones and Paul Mullin grabbing the second and third to seal the three points.

For Yeovil, the result saw confirmation that they would be relegated from the National League, despite a resilient performance.

The Wrexham boss named two changes to the team that earned a hard-fought point with ten men at Barnet, with Forde and Sam Dalby back in the starting eleven.

Both teams had so much at stake on the night, and it started in a fast fashion, with Mullin playing a square ball to Forde, but his shot was blocked by Josh Staunton.

Andy Cannon came inches away from opening the scoring and his Wrexham account on the 14th minute, with his rasping effort flashing past the post.

The visitors were keen to make their mark on the game, and Matt Worthington had the Glovers first chance of the game, forcing Ben Foster into a smart save down to his left.

Parkinson’s side’s final chance of the half came five minutes before the break, with Tom O’Connor heading over from Elliot Lee’s corner.

Despite the attacking intent from both sides in the opening exchanges, neither were able to make the breakthrough before half time.

Wrexham began the second period the sharper of the two teams, and it was the returning Forde who fired the Red Dragons back in front on the hour mark, as his deflected shot looped over Will Buse.

It could have been two minutes later, as Mullin pounced on a loose ball at the back post, and his shot which was heading for the top corner was deflected over the crossbar.

However, James Jones did double the lead in the 72nd minute, meeting Mullin’s cross, and lashing home past the outstretched Buse.

The Red Dragons started to turn the screw and Mullin made it three, four minutes later, heading Ryan Barnett’s floated cross into the top corner.

Ben Tozer nearly got in on the act with a thunderbolt which forced Buse into making an outstanding save, tipping the ball onto the post.

Glovers looked for a consolation goal, trying to catch Foster out from distance, but the stopper was well judged to make the save.

He was called into action to make another strong save in added time, after substitute Chiori Johnson cut inside and struck a half volley which he palmed away.

Wrexham: Foster (GK), Barnett, O’Connell, Tozer ©, O’Connor, Forde, J.Jones, Cannon (Young 80’), Lee, Mullin (Palmer 88’), Dalby

Subs not used: Howard, Cleworth, McAlinden

Yeovil Town: Buse (GK), Oluwabori, Bevan (Linton 24’), Staunton, Freckleton, Reckord, Worthington, Cooper, Pollock, Griffiths (Johnson 63’), Siziba (Young 70’)

Subs not used: Smith and Hunt

Bookings: Cooper (43’), Freckleton (44’)

Attendance: 10,106 (217 Yeovil)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account