Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Wrexham AFC Women 1-0 Briton Ferry Llansawel

16 April 2023

Match Reports

REPORT | Wrexham AFC Women 1-0 Briton Ferry Llansawel

16 April 2023

Rebecca Pritchard’s goal was enough to earn Wrexham AFC Women promotion to the Genero Adran Premier, after a thrilling win against Briton Ferry Llansawel at Newtown’s Latham Park.

The Adran North winners scored the only goal of an enthralling promotion play-off final after the break, before goalkeeper Del Morgan stopped a late siege from the southern champions.

The result means Wrexham will play in the top flight of Welsh Women’s Football for the first time since the club reformed – with the result also meaning they can realise the ambition of becoming semi-professional.

The match started at a frenetic pace, although clear-cut chances were limited with both teams’ defences on top.

Lili Jones had Wrexham’s first sight of goal, but her long-range effort on the quarter-hour was comfortably saved after Rosie Hughes’ penalty shout was turned down.

Walkley was a constant threat for Briton Ferry at the other end, and she shot wide across goal on 21 minutes through a crowd of players.

Both goalkeepers then had to produce smart one-on-one saves to keep the scores level.

First Del Morgan was quick off the line to save low on 27 minutes, and then two minutes later Jones’ slid the ball through to Mari Gibbard, but Courtney Young was out quickly. Gibbard was then booked for catching Young in her follow-up.

Walkley then tried an ambitious long-range effort on the half-hour, after intercepting Morgan’s long clearance, but he shot off target.

Young was Briton Ferry’s saviour again on 33 minutes, however, when Hughes got in over the top and the goalkeeper was out quickly to save low.

Hughes got away down the right-hand side on 36 minutes as the game’s frenetic pace continued, pulling the ball back for Gibbard, but the midfielder’s scuffed shot was deflected wide.

Morgan stood firm to save on 42 minutes, from a lofted shot, as both teams went in goalless despite an entertaining first-half.

Wrexham came out well after the break, but Briton Ferry soon started to turn the screw and on 56 minutes Baker shot over after a period of pressure.

Mia Roberts backheeled off the line on 61 minutes, and TJ Dickens did well to block the rebound as the Wrexham goal came under siege.

The Red Dragons broke the deadlock on 74 minutes, however – albeit against the run of play. Hughes got down the left and crossed in, and Pritchard sneaked in to beat the goalkeeper with the deftest of touches at the front post.

Substitute Lily Whitefoot shot wide on her right foot on 82 minutes, after receiving the ball from Hughes in the D.

And Hughes was then inches away from sealing victory in the 89th minute, when her dipping long-range shot clattered the bar, and from the rebound, she shot just wide on an awkward half-volley under pressure.

Briton Ferry piled the pressure on in the dying moments, however, and Del Morgan saved one-on-one from substitute Jones on 90 minutes – sticking out a crucial right boot.

From the resultant corner, Phoebe Davies hacked a ball clear off the line but more drama was to come in time added to the stoppage time.

Briton Ferry won a 94th-minute free-kick, and Morgan produced a stunning fingertip save to turn the ball onto the crossbar.

Wrexham then stood firm from the resultant corner, and the referee’s whistle sparked incredible scenes of celebration.

Morgan and club captain Kim Dutton lifted the trophy, but more importantly the result means Wrexham will take their place in the top-flight next season.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account