Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Wrexham AFC 5-5 Swindon Town

Red Dragons produce stunning comeback to claim a point

19 August 2023

Match Reports

REPORT | Wrexham AFC 5-5 Swindon Town

Red Dragons produce stunning comeback to claim a point

19 August 2023

Wrexham AFC produced an incredible second half comeback to claim a point at the STōK Cae Ras after Elliot Lee scored in the last seconds of the match to earn a 5-5 draw against Swindon Town.

Jake Bickerstaff scored his second goal in a week, while James Jones and Lee both recorded a brace to cancel out goals from Jake Young, Daniel Kemp and Charlie Austin for Swindon Town. 

Phil Parkinson made two changes to the side that beat Walsall 4-2 on Tuesday night, with Ryan Barnett and Andy Cannon replacing Anthony Forde and Luke Young for the Red Dragons. 

Swindon got the game underway at the STōK Cae Ras, but Wrexham came close to breaking the deadlock just nine minutes into the match.

Bickerstaff, who scored his first EFL goal against Walsall on Tuesday night, almost doubled his goals tally for the season just minutes after kick-off. 

After a looping ball caused confusion amongst the travelling backline, Bickerstaff was alert to the opportunity, took a smart first touch, and then released a low-strike on his right-foot which forced Murphy Mahoney into a smart save to keep the scores level. 

Despite going close early on, it was the Robins who opened the scoring in North Wales through Jake Young after 16 minutes. 

Remeao Hutton floated a ball towards the far post which found Charlie Austin, who headed the ball back across goal and into the path of Young. Swindon’s number seven rose highest, directing his header past Foster to put Michael Flynn’s side in front. 

Swindon then doubled their advantage in the 27th minute, as ex-Premier League frontman Austin latched onto a cutback from Daniel Kemp to register his first league goal of the season.

Wrexham responded excellently to the setback, as Jake Bickerstaff eventually got the goal that his early efforts deserved two minutes later.

Following some brilliant passing between Bickerstaff and Will Boyle, the defender managed to play a great ball down the left to split the Swindon defence. 

Bickerstaff was rewarded for his tireless running, as he found himself on the end of Boyle’s incisive pass and managed to get by his opposite number to unleash a powerful right-footed effort that squeezed past Mahoney into the top-left corner. 

Swindon restored their two-goal advantage in the 31st minute, as Kemp managed to beat Foster with a well-executed curling effort from the edge of the box to make it 3-1 to the visitors. 

Things got worse at the STōK Cae Ras as the visitors scored a fourth before the break, adding to the task at hand to get something out of the match. 

Having picked the ball up inside the box, Young turned quickly and fired past Foster for a second time, as Wrexham went into the break three goals behind. 

Parkinson’s side came out fired-up to provide a response to the disappointing first-half performance which saw them with a massive task to get anything out of the match. 

Following a sustained period of dominance, Wrexham were rewarded for their endeavours in the 50th minute, after Ollie Palmer was dragged down in the box and resulted in Craig Breakspear pointing to the spot. 

Lee stepped up to take the spot-kick and made no mistake from 12-yards-out, smashing his effort down the middle to reduce the deficit at the STōK Cae Ras, recording his third goal of the season. 

With renewed belief on the pitch and in the stands, Wrexham continued their early fightback and soon found themselves within a goal of Flynn’s side. 

Switching from goal scorer to provider, Lee played a well-placed through ball in behind to find James Jones. The midfielder made no mistake in lifting the ball past Mahoney for his first goal of the season, getting the hosts ever closer to the leveller.  

Wrexham continued to challenge as they looked for an all-important fourth goal to level the scores in North Wales. They were handed yet another blow in the 70th minute, as Swindon scored their fifth goal of the afternoon through Dan Kemp from the edge of the box to regain control of the match. 

It seemed like the game had gotten away from Wrexham, but the home fans would be given a late glimpse of hope in the 92nd minute.  

Jacob Mendy found Jones in the box, as his bouncing pass found Wrexham’s number 30 with his back to goal. Jones lifted his effort over Mahoney and despite a late attempt to clear the ball off the line, his header found the back of the net and provided a late chance of salvaging a point. 

Just when time was running out, Wrexham were handed one final opportunity to grab a point at the death with one final opportunity from a free-kick. 

Luke Young stepped up to take the set-piece, smashing the post with a low right-footed effort. Despite hitting the post, the rebound fell kindly and provided Lee with a golden opportunity to save a point for Parkinson’s side. 

Under pressure, Lee latched onto the loose ball on his right foot, firing home an all-important fifth goal in the 96th minute for Wrexham which secured a point at the STōK Cae Ras for the Red Dragons after an incredible comeback. 

Wrexham line-up: Foster (GK), O’Connell, Tozer (C), Boyle (O’Connor 83’), Barnett (Forde 89’), Jones, Cannon (Young 72’), Lee, Mendy, Bickerstaff (Waters 83’), Palmer (Dalby 83’).

Subs not used: Howard (C), Hosannah.

Attendance: 10,258 (1,153 away).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account