Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Wrexham AFC 2-0 Briton Ferry

Red Dragons into Bute Energy Welsh Cup semi-finals

10 December 2023

Match Reports

REPORT | Wrexham AFC 2-0 Briton Ferry

Red Dragons into Bute Energy Welsh Cup semi-finals

10 December 2023

Wrexham AFC progressed to the Bute Energy Welsh Cup semi-finals, after goals from Rosie Hughes and Libby Mackenzie led Wrexham to a 2-0 win over Briton Ferry.

Steve Dale made two changes to the side who faced Swansea last month, with captain Keren Allen returning from injury while Rosie Hughes returned from suspension. 

It’s a match that needed no introduction to neither Wrexham nor Briton Ferry, with Dale’s side having gained promotion to the Genero Adran Premier in last April’s play-off final against Rhys James’ side. 

The Red Dragons started the match strongly, intent on gaining an early advantage in the match with both sides ferociously challenging in the opening stages with some stern challenges. 

Amber Lightfoot recorded Wrexham’s first opportunity of the afternoon, with the hosts taking initiative to play on the front-foot. Lightfoot did well to get into position, but her early effort after just four minutes was saved by Courtney Young. 

Rosie Hughes, who came on from the bench in the last round of the competition was fired-up given her absence from the team over the past few weeks.

Hughes wasted no time in her pursuit of an early goal, making an excellent run - only to be denied by a brilliant last ditch challenge from Lowri Ridings in the 15th minute. 

Wrexham’s number nine switched her focus from goalscoring for a split second, playing Mari Gibbard through, but the midfielder couldn’t keep her effort down and it drifted over the bar. 

The hosts came out full of inspiration in the second half, determined to not let the visitors gain any advantage in a tightly-contested match.

It didn’t take long for Dale’s side to gain the lead, as Hughes, who looked dangerous all game, latched onto Gibbard's pass and recorded the opener with 47 minutes played. 

As the game went on, Dale’s side continued to create opportunities but it was looking increasingly unlikely that they could double their advantage with Briton Ferry putting everything on the line to stay in the game. 

With time running out, Wrexham doubled their advantage in the nick of time to capitalise on a period of sustained pressure from the hosts. 

Hughes, Lightfoot and Carra Jones all had efforts blocked in the 71st minute, Libby Mackenzie was determined not to let the opportunity pass and on what seemed to be her third attempt, fired into the back of the net to score a vital goal. 

Following Mackenzie’s goal, Wrexham defended resolutely and claimed a well-deserved spot in the last four of the Bute Energy Welsh Cup. 

Wrexham AFC: Morgan (GK), Pritchard, Allen (C), Doran, Davies (Sharp 84'), Dickens, L. Jones (Mackenzie 46'), Gibbard, C. Jones (Whitefoot 89'), Lightfoot (Suckley 77'), Hughes.

Subs not used: Bolland (GK).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account