Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Wrexham AFC Women 4-0 Briton Ferry Llansawel

Second-half goals earn big win

17 December 2023

Match Reports

REPORT | Wrexham AFC Women 4-0 Briton Ferry Llansawel

Second-half goals earn big win

17 December 2023

Carra Jones scored twice as Wrexham earned a dominant home win against Briton Ferry Llansawel to book their place in the Genero Adran Trophy last eight.

After a goalless first half, Jones scored twice after the break before TJ Dickens' free-kick and Ava Suckley's late goal wrapped up a big win.

The Red Dragons will now face Cardiff City in the quarter-finals in January.

Steve Dale was forced into two changes from last week’s win in the Bute Energy Welsh Cup, as Lili Jones missed out through injury and Louisha Doran was unavailable.

Goalscorer Libby Mackenzie came into the starting line-up, alongside Katie Sharp, while it was a much-changed opposition, missing several of their senior players from the last game.

After a cagey start to the afternoon, Wrexham began to exert some control after ten minutes with Carra Jones snatching possession wide of the area, driving inside and seeing her shot deflect wide.

Phoebe Davies was brought down on the edge of the box in the 11th minute, and TJ Dickens fired the resultant free-kick just over the bar.

Just a minute later, Sharp then met Dickens’ outswinging corner on the volley with her knee, but again it was just off target.

Rosie Hughes’ lofted ball looked to have played Jones in on 21 minutes, but Briton Ferry captain Lowri Ridings came across to intercept.

Jones had another chance on 26 minutes, intercepting goalkeeper Jo-Anna Nowak-Allum’s poor clearance, but she shot high and wide.

Dickens then went even closer in the 29th minute, with a thumping, 35-yard strike that would have been a Goal of the Season contender had it not dropped just over the bar.

Wrexham continued to put the pressure on, and Keren Allen headed wide at the near post on 32 minutes and moments later Hughes hooked as first-time shot wide from the edge of the area.

Good build-up between Mari Gibbard and Jones then released Hughes for a half-volley inside the area in the 38th minute, but the shot deflected off a defender and into Nowak-Allum’s arms.

Wrexham could not find the opener despite having all the chances, however, and suffered a further blow just before the interval when Rosie Hughes was forced off injured to be replaced by Ava Suckley.

Briton Ferry started the second half the better of the two teams, and Del Morgan had to readjust quickly to push Baker’s shot wide on 50 minutes when it deflected off Katie Sharp’s head. From the resultant corner, Lowri Ridings’ header then crashed off the crossbar.

Five minutes later though, Wrexham were in front – Jones skipping inside and shooting, with her fizzing shot too hot for Nowak-Allum to handle as it trickled in.

Pritchard and Jones then linked up well on 57 minutes to feed Suckley in the area but – as she got the ball out of her feet to shoot – Ridings made a key tackle.

But just a minute later, Jones had her second – racing onto Mari Gibbard’s perfect, clipped through ball to prod the ball beyond the onrushing Nowak-Allum.

Lightfoot stretched to meet Pritchard’s right-wing cross on the volley on the hour-mark, but could not generate the power to beat Nowak-Allum.

The Briton Ferry keeper then got a key hand to Jones’ cross on 67 minutes, before Lightfoot volleyed over from another right-wing cross moments later.

Jones could have sealed a hat-trick on 75 minutes, when the ball dropped to her on the edge of the box, but she shot just wide across goal.

Two minutes later, Pritchard raced down the right wing and crossed the ball back for Jones who this time shot just wide at the near post.

Jones continued to push for a hat-trick, and brought Suckley’s crossfield ball down but shot wide again on 82 minutes.

Steve Dale handed a first-team debut to Anna Marsh from the bench for the final five minutes, while Ruby Jones also came on for her first appearance of the season – Jones and Sharp making way.

Dickens added a third goal in the 90th minute, after Marsh was fouled on the edge of the box, curling a free-kick into the top corner.

And Suckley wrapped up a dominant win, finishing into the top corner from inside the area in the first of three additional minutes.

Wrexham: Morgan, Pritchard, Allen, Sharp (R.Jones 85), Davies, Gibbard, Dickens, C.Jones (Marsh 85), Mackenzie (Spearing 78), Lightfoot, Hughes (Suckley 45)

Subs not used: Bolland

Briton Ferry Llansawel: Nowak-Allum, Denscombe, Ridings, Hateley, Kett-White, Greenaway (Hancock 64), Smitham, Welch, Strang, Baker, Powell

Referee: Arthur Smallman

Attendance: 176


Briton Ferry Llansawel: Kett-White (69, foul)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account