Skip to main content Skip to site footer

REVIEW | Harrogate Town 2-2 Wrexham AFC

The Sulphurites battle back to earn a point

2 December 2023


REVIEW | Harrogate Town 2-2 Wrexham AFC

The Sulphurites battle back to earn a point

2 December 2023

Wrexham saw their two goal lead evaporate against Harrogate Town, as two costly moments denied Phil Parkinson’s men the win.

After a tantalising display against Morecambe in the game prior, eyes were on the Red Dragons to see if they could replicate that display in North Yorkshire. 

Wrexham had a comfortable control on the game for the opening thirty minutes, but perhaps few opportunities to show for it. However, Andy Cannon’s slotted finish spurred the game into life. 

Leaving Jack Muldoon for dust, Cannon allowed James McClean’s pass to role across him, arcing his body to slot a right-footed shot into the bottom of Jonathan Mitchell’s bottom corner. 

A first competitive Wrexham AFC goal for Cannon, and thoroughly deserved after his performances of late.  

Just five minutes later, Elliot Lee added a second. A Ben Tozer long throw paraded its way through the Harrogate box, seeing Paul Mullin at the back-stick keep the danger alive through a scorpion kick. 

It didn’t quite replicate the famous finishes of Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Olivier Giroud, but it did tee up Elliot Lee, who was quickest to turn around during the melee in the box to scoop the ball home. 

The two quick fire goals had continued a new Wrexham tradition of doubling up on goals in a short space of time, as seen against Morecambe, Port Vale and Notts County. 

However, on the stroke of the 45th minute, the hosts bought back a cheap goal. 

Aaron Hayden’s clearance being quickly thudded back by Anthony O’Connor meant that the Wrexham defender was retreating back into position to try and beat Muldoon to the ball. A favourable bounce allowed the Harrogate man to hold-up the ball against Jacob Mendy and slot through a free Dean Cornelius on the edge of the box. 

The number eight then stabbed the ball through Hayden’s legs and into the back of Arthur Okonkwo’s net to bring one back for the Sulphurites. 

Although there were three first half goals, the main talking point would be the injury that Okonkwo suffered at 0-0. 

The Wrexham shot-stopper bravely ventured off his line to claim George Thomson’s cross, but also suffered a blow to the face under pressure from Josh March. 

The goalkeeper was forced off at half-time, with Parkinson later confirming that the Arsenal loanee has had an x-ray, with further consultation being needed from a specialist on Monday. 

This meant that Mark Howard came out to start the second half, with Wrexham’s healthy lead being reduced just before the break. 

Sadly, his first action was to pick the ball out of the back of his net, after Anthony O’Connor ran into the box completely unmarked from Thomson’s free-kick to head the cross into the back of the net from point-blank range. 

Two poorly defended moments saw the two goal lead vanish into the cold Yorkshire air. 

Wrexham actually did remarkably well to not concede a third in the next ten minutes, with new life flowing through the veins of the Sulphurites and their fans. 

Despite withstanding Harrogate’s period of pressure, Parkinson’s men couldn’t reclaim their grip on the game.  

Substitutes Sam Dalby and James Jones had half chances towards the end of the game, but the game ended two goals apiece on matchday twenty. 

The draw maintained our position in second, but Stockport County and Salford City entertaining a 0-0 draw at Edgeley Park meant that the Red Dragons missed out on an opportunity to close the gap at the top of the table. 

Attention now turns to the Emirates FA Cup, with Yeovil Town returning to the STōK Cae Ras, after Wrexham's 3-0 win over the Glovers in April confirmed their relegation from the National League and put Wrexham within one game of the title. 


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account