Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | LA Galaxy II 0-4 Wrexham AFC

Dominant second-half performance earns victory in Los Angeles

23 July 2023

Match Reports

REPORT | LA Galaxy II 0-4 Wrexham AFC

Dominant second-half performance earns victory in Los Angeles

23 July 2023

A clinical second-half performance earned Wrexham their first win of their US Tour, as they stormed to victory against LA Galaxy II.

After a goalless first-half, Andy Cannon, Elliot Lee and Paul Mullin all struck after the break and - after wholesale changes were made - Anthony Forde wrapped up a big win.

There were four changes to the starting line-up from the game against Chelsea, with new signing Will Boyle joining Aaron Hayden, Ryan Barnett and Ollie Palmer in the XI.

Wrexham made a bright start too, with Tom O’Connor swinging three corners in within the first three minutes, although LA Galaxy did well to clear.

The first big chance fell to Jacob Mendy, who darted inside onto his right foot in the 12th minute and shot but Simon Jillson tipped it wide.

From the resultant corner – already Wrexham’s fourth of the game – Aaron Hayden volleyed in at the back post, but the referee had already blown for a foul.

Wrexham had the ball in the net again midway through the half, after Elliot Lee’s spectacular overhead kick, but the linesman’s flag cut short the celebrations.

LA Galaxy grew into the game, however, and Axel Picazo cut inside on the half-hour to force Ben Foster into a low save when he shot across goal.

Three minutes later Aaron Bibout had a low shot blocked, and the two Los Dos players went close again in similar fashion in the 36th minute.

After a goalless first-half, Wrexham only replaced goalkeeper Ben Foster at the interval, as Mark Howard made his first appearance of the tour.

And Wrexham wasted little time in stamping their authority back on the game, as Cannon broke the deadlock in the 47th minute. Mullin dinked a pass over the top, and the midfielder applied the finishing touch.

Wrexham dominated from there on in, with Mendy feeding Mullin on 51 minutes only for the striker to shoot wide.

Moments later, Mullin cut inside onto his right foot and curled goalwards, but his low effort was parried clear.

Lee slid in to double the lead from inside the area on 55 minutes though.

Ollie Palmer’s shot was straight at the keeper on 57 minutes, and Cannon’s effort was headed wide on the hour-mark as the visitors continued to dominate.

Boyle should have extended the lead when O’Connor headed on Lee’s vicious corner, but somehow hit the post from just a foot out.

Mullin did make it three on 65 minutes, however, when Lee’s shot was partially saved – the striker bundling the ball over the line at the back post.

That was the cue for Wrexham to ring the changes, with every outfield player making way, but the one-way traffic continued.

Just moments after coming on, Sam Dalby’s shot was saved and Forde followed in to fire high into the net on the rebound and wrap up the scoring.

Wrexham line-up: Foster (Howard 46), Hayden (Cleworth 66), O'Connell (Tozer 66), Boyle (Hosannah 66), Barnett (Forde 66), O'Connor (Young 66), Cannon (Jones 66), Lee (J.Davies 66), Mendy (McFadzean 66), Mullin (Waters 66), Palmer (Dalby 66)

Bookings: Aaron Hayden (27, foul)


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account