Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Wrexham 3-0 York City

Wrexham see off the Minstermen in fashion!

25 March 2023

Match Reports

REPORT | Wrexham 3-0 York City

Wrexham see off the Minstermen in fashion!

25 March 2023

Two late goals from Sam Dalby and Elliot Lee added to a first half own goal, seeing Wrexham reign 3-0 victors against York City!

James Jones' first half strike rebounding into the goal off Ryan Whitely would see the Red Dragons enter half time as deserved leaders.

With Wrexham managing the entire second half superbly, Dalby and Lee would see the game off at the end, as they helped bring up one hundred Wrexham league goals for the season.

Phil Parkinson named two changes to the side who beat Bromley last week, as Lee returned from illness and new signing Ben Foster started.

Eighteen years after last playing for Wrexham and nine months after initially retiring, Foster was welcomed back to the Racecourse Ground with open arms.

Wrexham were much the brighter team to start with, finding pockets of space to attack through.

Ryan Barnett drove forward to the edge of the box, where his low shot hit the centre of the post, to unfortunately rebound back into the box to be cleared away in the eleventh minute. 

Once again, Barnett had acres of space running at the Minstermen's backline, where he laid off the ball to James Jones running down the right wing. Mullin peeled off to the back-post, but would have to run back into the centre of the goalmouth to head Jones’ cross goalwards. Sadly, his header sliced wide of the post with 12 minutes on the clock. 

The ball forever seems to be glued to Lee's feet and this was no different in the 22nd minute, when he sat Dan Pybus down in his box with a Cruyff turn, before forcing Ryan Whitley into a save. 

A James Jones thunderbolt cannoned off the crossbar just before half-time, and fortuitously rebounded off the back of Whitley. The ball slowly rolled towards the goalline and despite Whitley’s best efforts, the goal was awarded. 

After a dominant first period, Wrexham would enter the changing rooms a goal to the good. 

Mullin went through in the 47th minute, but his shot would only sting the hands of Whitley to no avail.  

With the second half drifting by to its conclusion, Wrexham looked as if they were managing the game to a single goal victory. However, substitute Dalby would add his name to the scoresheet. 

An iconic Ben Tozer long throw met the head of the leaping Dalby, who glanced the ball perfectly into the far corner with 80 minutes on the clock.

With full time looming, Foster smashed his goal kick deep into York City's half, where the ball was once again flicked on by the head of Dalby. This time, it would be an assist, as Lee went through on goal and effortlessly tucked the ball away.

The final whistle came with three points, a clean sheet and Wrexham remaining top of the table.

Wrexham AFC: (5-3-2): Foster (GK), Barnett, O'Connell, Tozer (C), Tunnicliffe, Mendy, J.Jones, Cannon, Lee, Palmer (Dalby 72'), Mullin (J.Davies 87')

Subs not used: Howard (GK), McFadzean, Cleworth

York City: Whitley (GK), Fallowfield, Crookes, Hurst, Dyson, JohnlLewis (C), Hancox (Forde 73'), Pybus (McLaughlin 60'), Ellis, Duckworth, Rowe (Kouhyar 73')

Subs not used: Campbell, Kouogun

Referee: Dean Watson

Attendance: 10,161 (1000 away)

Wrexham Bookings: Ollie Palmer 57' (dissent)

York City Bookings: Crookes 31' (foul), Dyson 67' (foul)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account