Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Mansfield Town 0-0 Wrexham AFC

Red Dragons claim battling point against unbeaten Stags

3 October 2023

Match Reports

REPORT | Mansfield Town 0-0 Wrexham AFC

Red Dragons claim battling point against unbeaten Stags

3 October 2023

Wrexham AFC claimed a hard-fought goalless draw on the road, under the lights against Mansfield Town at the One Call Stadium.

Phil Parkinson elected to make two changes to the side that started in Wrexham’s 3-3 draw against Crewe, with Tom O’Connor replacing Will Boyle.

Jacob Mendy was also called into the starting line-up with Ryan Barnett’s appeal unsuccessful, leaving the wing-back suspended for the next three matches.

The hosts started strongly, which was somewhat expected, given their unbeaten league record coming into this fixture.

Aaron Lewis registered the first real chance of the match, as he forced Arthur Okonkwo into a smart save to keep the scores level after 18 minutes.

Mansfield continued to assert their dominance on the match, and almost broke the deadlock with half an hour played.

Ex-Wrexham forward Davis Keillor-Dunn broke down the right, shifted across onto his right-foot inside the box and unleashed a strike which cannoned against the post.

Okonkwo was called into action just six minutes later, as he produced a world-class save to push a long-range effort from Ollie Clarke onto the post to keep Parkinson’s side level at the break.

The Red Dragons started better in the second half, and Ollie Palmer came close to breaking the deadlock just seven minutes after the restart. Elliot Lee did well to win a free-kick from Lewis, with James McClean stepping up to take the resulting set-piece.

McClean did well to spot Palmer and find the striker in the box, but the 31-year-old couldn’t direct his header into the goal, and it drifted just wide of the post.

Having come close to opening the scoring from a McClean delivery, the Republic of Ireland international came close to getting a deserved assist – having put in a fantastic corner towards Aaron Hayden.

Hayden rose highest in the crowd of players, but his header was tame and straight at the Pym in the 73rd minute with time running out for Wrexham to get an all-important goal.

Mansfield had one final change, with Keillor-Dunn’s late effort in the 90th minute drifting just wide of the net as both sides were forced to settle for a point.

Wrexham AFC: Okonkwo, Hayden, Tozer (C), O’Connor, Mendy, Jones (Cannon 71’), Evans, Lee, McClean, Palmer (Fletcher 85’), Mullin (Dalby 90+2’).

Subs not used: Howard, Tunnicliffe, O’Connell, Davies.

Mansfield Town: Pym (GK), Bowery, Flint (C), Cargill, Macdonald, Reed, Lewis, Clarke (Gale 63’), Maris (Boateng 76’), Keillor-Dunn, Akins.

Subs not used: Flinders (GK), Johnson, Brunt, Williams, Swan.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account