Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Wrexham AFC 1-5 Stourbridge

Red Dragons fall to heavy defeat in friendly match

25 February 2024

Match Reports

REPORT | Wrexham AFC 1-5 Stourbridge

Red Dragons fall to heavy defeat in friendly match

25 February 2024

Wrexham AFC succumbed to a 5-1 defeat against FA Women’s Premier League Premier Division side Stourbridge at the Rock.

New signing Olivia Fuller was named in defence for her first Wrexham AFC appearance since joining the Club, while Keren Allen was named at the heart of a back three to captain Wrexham against her former club. 

There was also a first start for Brooke Cairns, as she looked to build upon her cameo against Cardiff Met earlier in February. 

Fuller quickly looked to make an impact, as she enjoyed a great deal of aerial success early-on against the West Midlands side. 

Stourbridge’s experience showed at times, with the visitors applying a physical and direct approach to the game as they looked to put Wrexham under pressure. 

It resulted in a number of long-range efforts from the Red Dragons’ opponents as they looked to test Del Morgan whenever possible. 

Eventually the visitors' persistence paid off, as they broke the deadlock from distance in the 26th minute through Zoe Clarke. 

Cairns almost registered an instant reaction for Wrexham, having driven through the Glassgirls defence, only for her effort to be saved at the last moment from Stourbridge’s trialist keeper. 

That chance proved to be a vital moment in the fixture, as the visitors doubled their advantage less than a minute later. 

Zara Gibbs latched onto the ball after some good work from Daisy Clements, and made no mistake from close range after just 27 minutes. 

Two minutes later, having battled valiantly against their opponents, Wrexham found themselves with a three-goal deficit to overcome. 

Jade Grove netted a crucial goal for the Glassgirls, as Clements recorded yet another assist. 

Having returned from the interval, Steve Dale’s side were determined to find their way back into the match, and they eventually did that just short of the hour mark. 

Rosie Hughes picked the ball up from distance, and despite the striker’s knack for scoring goals in and around the box, she unleashed a thunderbolt of an effort on her right foot which darted straight into the top corner after 59 minutes. 

Any chance of a Wrexham comeback were quickly dashed though, as they conceded their fourth goal of the afternoon with 20 minutes remaining at the Rock. 

Jess Lowe was quickest to react and head home from Clements' corner, as Stourbridge’s number 18 recorded yet another assist against the Red Dragons. 

The visitors made it five with less than ten minutes to go, as Grace Rogers latched onto a rebound from range and fired past Morgan to extend Stourbridge’s advantage. 

Wrexham battled for a consolation in the final minutes, but it wasn’t to be as they fell to a tough defeat against solid opposition at the Rock. 

Next up for Wrexham AFC is a trip to the Essity Stadium to face The New Saints in the Bute Energy Welsh Cup semi-final on March 3 (5:10 PM KO).

Starting XI: Morgan, Fuller (Lovett 33’), Allen (C) (Sharp 33’) Davies (R. Jones 53’), Dickens, L. Jones, Lightfoot (Spearing 78’) , C. Jones, Cairns (Burke 78’), Mackenzie (Gibbard 46’), Hughes (Whitefoot 78’). 

Subs not used: Ankers.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account