Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Wrexham AFC 2-0 AFC Wimbledon

Red Dragons continue perfect start to 2024

13 January 2024

Match Reports

REPORT | Wrexham AFC 2-0 AFC Wimbledon

Red Dragons continue perfect start to 2024

13 January 2024

Second-half goals from Steven Fletcher and Paul Mullin led Wrexham AFC to a 2-0 victory over AFC Wimbledon, securing the Red Dragons' third successive victory this year.

12,478 supporters packed out the STōK Cae Ras, the highest home league attendance since March 1, 1980 - against Shrewsbury Town.

Neither side managed to break the deadlock in the first half, but Fletcher netted his fourth goal in three matches to give Wrexham the advantage after 61 minutes.

Mullin wrapped up victory in the 69th minute, ensuring that the hosts remain in the Sky Bet League Two automatic promotion spaces.

Phil Parkinson named an unchanged side from Shrewsbury Town last weekend, as Wrexham secured their place in the Fourth Round of the FA Cup to set up a trip to Ewood Park to face Blackburn Rovers.

The visitors started strongest in North Wales, and quickly put the Red Dragons’ backline under pressure in the opening stages of the match.

18-year-old Aron Sasu, who has also appeared for Norway at youth level, quickly established himself as a key figure in the Dons’ side – despite being yet to score in the league so far this season.  

Wimbledon’s first real opportunity came after two minutes, as Sasu fired just wide of Okonkwo’s goal.

Chances were few and far between for Parkinson’s side, but they were restricted a golden opportunity in the 20th minute.

Paul Mullin was hauled down on the break, with open space to run into and a clear sight of goal despite being 60-yards away. Cynically, Jack Currie hauled Wrexham’s number 10 down – fully aware of the dangers if he didn’t.

Wrexham had a penalty shout just minutes later, as James McClean fell to the ground as a result of a challenge from Joe Lewis, but referee David Rock waived away the hosts’ claims for a spot-kick.

Elliot Lee recorded Wrexham’s first shot-on-target of the half with just a minute remaining, as he latched onto Anthony Forde’s well-executed delivery from the right – heading straight into the hands of Alex Bass.

While neither side managed to record too many chances of note in the first half, the Red Dragons’ best effort came in added-time as a long-throw from Ben Tozer eventually found Mullin at the back-post.

Mullin rose well and tried to carefully direct his effort into the top-left corner, but his effort lofted over the bar – much to the relief of the visitors.

Wimbledon were handed a fantastic opportunity just minutes after the restart, as Ben Tozer failed to fully cut-out a through ball from the Dons.

He managed to get a slight contact on the ball, but Josh Davison drove towards goal and was one-on-one with Okonkwo. The visiting striker couldn’t break the deadlock though, as his low effort evaded the goal and rolled past the post.

Just a minute later, Parkinson’s side had their best chance of scoring the opener as Elliot Lee forced Bass into a fantastic save, while the rebound fell into the path of Steven Fletcher.

Fletcher attempted to navigate a crowded box, but eventually struck from close-range with his effort crashing against the upright.

Soon enough, the ex-Scotland international had his goal in front of the STōK Cold Brew Coffee Stand. 

McClean stepped up to take a corner in the 61st minute and found an unmarked Fletcher at the back-post, who smashed home a left-footed volley, sending the STōK Cae Ras into raptures.

Wimbledon were made to regret not taking their chances, as Wrexham continually applied the pressure, backed by a packed-out crowd in North Wales.

Eight minutes after the opener, McClean provided another assist as the Red Dragons doubled their advantage against the Dons.

Wrexham’s number 23 delivered a precise left-footed delivery into the path of Mullin, who failed to connect with the opening header.

Despite failing to make the first contact, Mullin quickly put the visiting backline under pressure and pounced on the loose ball to record his tenth league goal of the season.

The hosts searched for a third goal to wrap up the victory, but a resolute defensive showing from Parkinson’s side secured a third successive victory to move up into second place in the league table.

Wrexham AFC: Okonkwo, Cleworth, Tozer (C), O'Connor, Forde (Barnett 71’), Cannon (Jones 82’), Evans, Lee, McClean, Fletcher (Dalby 71’), Mullin (Palmer 89’).

Subs not used: Howard, McFadzean, Boyle.

AFC Wimbledon: Bass, Biler, Reeves (C), Johnson, Tilley, Davison, Little, Ball (McLean 84’), Currie, Sasu, Lewis

Subs not used: Tzanev, Hallard, Sutcliffe, Williams, Kalambayi, Ogundere.

Attendance: 12,478 (1,119)*

*Highest home league attendance since 01/03/1980 against Shrewsbury Town.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account