Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Aberystwyth Town 0-2 Wrexham AFC Women

Red Dragons secure third place in Genero Adran Premier

27 March 2024

Match Reports

REPORT | Aberystwyth Town 0-2 Wrexham AFC Women

Red Dragons secure third place in Genero Adran Premier

27 March 2024

Brooke Cairns scored her first Wrexham goal as the Red Dragons secured third place in the Genero Adran Premier with victory away to Aberystwyth Town.

Cairns broke the deadlock and Carra Jones hit a brilliant second as Wrexham claimed their first win in phase two.

The result means fourth-placed Aberystwyth – who travel to The Rock for the reverse fixture on Easter Sunday (March 31) – cannot catch the Red Dragons.

Three days on from the narrow loss to Swansea at the STōK Cae Ras, Wrexham made one change to the starting line-up – Annie Small making her full debut as Amber Lightfoot dropped to the bench.

For Aberystwyth, with goalkeeper Margot Farnes unavailable, captain Amy Jenkins was between the sticks instead.

Starting on the front foot, Aberystwyth kept the ball away from their stand-in keeper in the opening exchanges but without really testing Morgan at the other end either.

Instead, Carra Jones was first to fashion a shooting chance, running onto Phoebe Davies’ lofted pass and cutting inside, but her right-footed shot was blocked.

It was from Jones’ cross in the ninth minute that Cairns slid in and got the decisive near-post touch to break the deadlock, however.

Hughes could have doubled the lead on 13 minutes, closing down Jenkins’ clearance in goal, but the ball ricocheted wide off the striker.

Aber could have levelled on 23 minutes, however; Niamh Duggan’s cross had Morgan caught in two minds but she made a fine, instinctive parried save to deny Imogen Scourfield.

Lili Jones’ crossed free-kick caused chaos for the Aberystwyth defence on 35 minutes. Keren Allen, Cairns and Olivia Fuller all had shots blocked as the home defence failed to deal with a ball into the box.

Allen was then fouled on the edge of the area but, from Fuller’s short free-kick, Lili Jones shot well over.

Wrexham doubled their lead on 37 minutes, however, and in superb style. As the ball dropped for Carra Jones outside the area on the left, she hit an instinctive shot across goal, over Jenkins and into the far corner.

Lleucu Mathias could have pulled one back for Aber on the stroke of half-time, racing through one-on-one with Morgan, but she shot narrowly wide.

Small had chances to extend Wrexham’s lead after the break – going close three times in the first five minutes. One shot was blocked, while her touches from Gibbard’s low pass and then Hughes’ pass denied her the chance of a shot.

Carra Jones controlled a cross-field pass on 67 minutes, took the ball inside on her thigh and unleashed a right-footed shot but she dragged it wide.

Phoebe Davies made an expansive run forward from the back on 80 minutes, played it wide to Carra Jones and received the return ball, but her right-footed shot looped up comfortably for Jenkins.

Substitute Amber Lightfoot then drove at the Aberystwyth defence in the 85th minute and unleashed a long-range shot, but Jenkins again saved comfortably. Lightfoot picked up an injury in the process, but was OK to continue.

Hughes had the ball in the net in the 90th minute, lofting the ball over Jenkins from Suckley’s through ball, but the offside flag was raised.

In stoppage time, Suckley then had two shots of her own from long-range, both of which Jenkins smothered.

Wrexham could not find a third goal, but it could not prevent them sealing a welcome win and another milestone in this season.


Aberystwyth Town (4-2-3-1): Jenkins, Elan Jones, Isaac, Scourfield, Evans, Moralee-Hughes, Gwynne (Elin Jones 46, James-Evans 79), Baker (Wylde 64), Duggan, Mathias, Thomas

Subs: Mason, Rowlands

Wrexham (3-4-2-1): Morgan, Allen, Fuller (Lovett 46), Davies, Pritchard (Lightfoot 72), L.Jones, Gibbard (Suckley 81), C.Jones, Small (Dickens 57), Cairns, Hughes

Subs: Bolland (G/K)

Referee: Teifion Cook



Aberystwyth Town: Baker (41, foul)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account