Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Wrexham AFC 3-0 Aberystwyth Town

Red Dragons claim dominant win in final home game of 2023/24 campaign

31 March 2024

Match Reports

REPORT | Wrexham AFC 3-0 Aberystwyth Town

Red Dragons claim dominant win in final home game of 2023/24 campaign

31 March 2024

Wrexham AFC claimed back-to-back wins for the first time in Phase Two, as the Red Dragons recorded a 3-0 victory in their final game at the Rock this season.

TJ Dickens opened the scoring with a fine free-kick from distance which wasn’t too dissimilar to her famous goal at the STōK Cae Ras against Connah’s Quay Nomads. 

Amber Lightfoot then doubled Wrexham’s lead, as she fired home from Lili Jones’ cross to give Steve Dale’s side a deserved second goal. 

Rebecca Pritchard then rounded off the hosts victory, scoring her third goal of the season, unleashing a brilliant half-volley from 20-yards-out to put Wrexham out of sight. 

Steve Dale named four changes to the side that faced Aberystwyth Town earlier this week on Wednesday, as Ava Suckley, Amber Lightfoot, TJ Dickens and Erin Lovett all came into the Starting XI. 

Phoebe Davies was rested for the fixture, with a yellow card enough for suspension which would’ve meant missing out on next Sunday’s match against Cardiff City. 

Wrexham started strongly, with Suckley trying her luck from distance just four minutes into the match, as the Red Dragons looked to build on their mid-week victory over the Seasiders. 

Soon enough though, the deadlock was broken in North Wales.

TJ Dickens stepped up to take a free kick in the ninth minute, and her effort was fantastic - looping over Margot Farnes from a considerable distance to give Wrexham an early lead.

Just nine minutes later, Lightfoot, who also returned into the line-up, doubled the advantage as she was in the right place to fire Lili Jones’ cross directly into the top-right corner. 

Rosie Hughes was the next to try and extend the hosts’ lead, as she latched onto a deflected pass and drove into space, but her effort was hit awkwardly and ended up wide of the post. 

Despite Wrexham’s efforts, the visitors defended well until the interval, forcing Steve Dale’s side to settle for a two-goal lead at the break. 

Wrexham then continued their battle against the Seasiders, and despite having to defend a spell from pressure against the visitors, Wrexham continued to dominate proceedings at the Rock. 

Pritchard - who scored the Red Dragons’ first goal of the season - scored Wrexham’s third to bring it full circle, scoring the hosts third goal of the afternoon. 

The winger, who has moved into a wing-back role since Phase Two started, then smashed home a fantastic half-volley in the 57th minute from 20-yards-out leaving Farnes with no chance. 

Dale’s side then remained solid in the remaining 30 minutes, wrapping up back-to-back victories in the space of four days to conclude their final home match in style. 

Wrexham AFC: Morgan, Allen (Sharp 46'), Fuller (Gibbard 62'), Lovett, Pritchard, L. Jones, Dickens, Lightfoot, Cairns (C. Jones 71') , Suckley (Small 62'), Hughes. 

Subs not used: Bolland.

Aberystwyth Town: Farnes, R. Mathias, Elin Jones, Thomas, Isaac, Elan Jones, Moralee-Hughes, Scourfield, Jenkins (C), Gwynne, L. Mathias.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account