Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Wrexham AFC 4-0 Accrington Stanley

Red Dragons breeze past opp in North Wales

2 March 2024

Match Reports

REPORT | Wrexham AFC 4-0 Accrington Stanley

Red Dragons breeze past opp in North Wales

2 March 2024

Paul Mullin scored his second hat-trick of the season, as Wrexham AFC thrashed Accrington Stanley to claim a dominant 4-0 victory at the STōK Cae Ras and regain their place in the automatic promotion spots.

Wrexham started strongly back in front of home support after a run of three consecutive away matches, and it only took until 20 minutes for Mullin to break the deadlock.

Mullin then scored another two goals in the space of fifteen minutes, in the 25th and 35th minute respectively, as he completed his hat-trick following an inspired first-half showing.

Elliot Lee scored Wrexham’s fourth goal of the match in the 41st minute, as he fired into the top corner from Mullin’s pass to put the game out of sight before half-time and secure all three points.

Phil Parkinson named three changes to the starting line-up from the mid-week trip to Forest Green Rovers, as Will Boyle, Jacob Mendy and Ollie Palmer all came into the fold for Accrington’s visit to North Wales.

Wrexham were aiming to get back to winning ways, having salvaged a point in injury time in their last Sky Bet League Two fixture in Gloucestershire against Steve Cotterill’s side.

The hosts started strongly in front of a packed-out crowd, with Ryan Barnett causing early problems for Stanley down the right flank.  

Back into the starting line-up, Palmer drove forwards and tried his luck on his right foot, but Radek Vitek managed to tip his effort around the post in the opening exchanges of the match.

Paul Mullin broke the deadlock for Wrexham after 17 minutes, as the Red Dragons’ number ten got on the end of Barnett’s cross to head his side into the ascendency, netting his second goal in as many matches.

The 29-year-old almost netted his second goal of the afternoon just three minutes later, his deft lob had beaten Vitek, but hit against the side netting with a number of premature celebrations within the STōK Cae Ras.

It didn’t take long for Mullin to eventually accomplish just that though, as Wrexham’s talisman recorded yet another notch on his goal scoring tally in the Red Dragons’ shirt.

The forward found himself in space after 25 minutes, before unleashing a driven effort on his right foot from range which nestled straight into the bottom corner, much to the delight of the home supporters.

On a day where United Airlines came to Town, and subsequently handed out over 10,000 Wrexham AFC x United scarves – the Red Dragons continued in their ascent towards the summit.  

After 35 minutes, Parkinson’s side were in dreamland as Mullin completed his second hat-trick of the 2023/24 campaign, ensuring that the match ball was going home with Wrexham’s number 10.

Elliot Lee found Mullin with a cross which evaded the Accrington defence, before the striker headed home from Lee’s pin-point delivery – leaving Accrington with a mountain to climb, if they were to get anything out of the match.

That task became even more out of reach for Stanley, as Lee turned from provider to goal scorer after 41 minutes, to put Wrexham out of sight.

It was yet again Mullin and Lee, a partnership which has yielded so much success over the years that continued to strike fear into the Accrington defence.

Mullin drove onto a fine through ball, before leaving his opposite number helpless and cutting the ball into the path of Wrexham’s number 38, who produced a magical finish to score the Red Dragons’ fourth goal of the afternoon.

Wrexham’s ever-prolific goal scorer almost scored his fourth on the brink of half time, but Vitek did well to get down low and tip the ball past the post as Parkinson’s side went into the break with a four-goal advantage.  

The visitors made one change at the break, as Aaron Pickles was replaced by Josh Woods, while Wrexham remained with the eleven which had cultivated an impressive four-goal lead in just 45 minutes.

James McClean came close to adding a fifth goal for Wrexham, as he saw a long-range effort drift just wide of the post after some great work from Barnett in the 49th minute.

Barnett, who is still yet to score his first goal for the Club, couldn’t have had a much better opportunity just minutes later, as he found himself inside the Accrington box one-on-one with Vitek.

However, the wing-back couldn’t find the required finish, as he fired an awkward strike straight at the keeper which Vitek managed to deal with after 51 minutes.

McClean came even closer to netting for Parkinson’s team but yet again, a long-range effort from the former Republic of Ireland stalwart drifted wide with 23 minutes remaining in North Wales.

Wrexham almost made it five in the 71st minute, as Lee saw his initial shot saved by Vitek, before substitute Ben Tozer found himself on the rebound, only for Stanley’s keeper to produce yet another save to keep the score at 4-0.

Accrington went down to ten men in added-time as Lewis Shipley was given his marching orders for a shocking challenge on Andy Cannon.

Wrexham AFC: Okonkwo, Cleworth, O'Connell (Tozer 69’), Boyle, Barnett (Bolton 82’), McClean (Young 88’), Cannon, Lee, Mendy, Mullin (Marriott 82’) , Palmer (Fletcher 69’).

Subs not Used: Howard, J.Davies.

Accrington Stanley: Vitek, Shipley, Mellor (C), Whalley (Adekoya 60’), Gubbins, Nolan (Trickett 84’), Leigh, Martin (Patrick 90’), Pickles (Woods 46’), O’Brien, Adedoyin (Henderson 84’).

Subs not used: McIntyre, Quirk.

Match Attendance: 12,209 (691 Away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account