BEST OF TIMES, WORST OF TIMES | Wrexham vs Gateshead

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Fri 02 Nov 2018

Wrexham welcome Gateshead back to My Racecourse on Saturday, with the Heed Army one of the other longest-serving teams in the National League.

This is the tenth season the North East side will have travelled to North Wales, with this the 19th National League fixture between Wrexham and Gateshead.

Between 1930 and 1957, it was also a regular fixture in the old Division Three (North) – the Heed slightly edging the head-to-head record with 16 wins and 11 draws to Wrexham’s 15 victories.

More recently, including the FA Trophy tie which went to a replay in 2015, there have been nine Wrexham wins, five draws and six victories for Gateshead in the 20 matches played since 2010.

Ahead of our latest match-up, we’ve delved into the archives to relive two of those matches – one to remember, and one to forget…

Best of times: Wrexham 4-0 Gateshead (14/11/2015)

Wrexham have won four National League home games against Gateshead, including the 1-0 win at the Racecourse last season, courtesy of Alex Reid’s second-half goal.

The most memorable of those wins was undoubtedly the one in the 2015/16 season, however – not just for the result but for Dom Vose’s incredible solo goal.

Despite dominating the game, Gary Mills’ Wrexham had been unable to make the breakthrough against the manager’s former side as they sought revenge for a defeat in the North East earlier in the season.

Connor Jennings and Dom Vose came out in inspired form for the second-half, however, to change all that – after Patrick McLaughlin was sent off for the visitors just four minutes after the restart.

McLaughlin received a second yellow card for a bad foul on Jon Nolan, and the Dragons took full advantage of the extra man.

Jennings’ crossed for Rob Evans to head home the first on 55 minutes, before Blaine Hudson prodded in at the back post from Vose’s corner midway through the half.

Then, a moment of magic and arguably one of the finest goals ever scored at the Racecourse – twinkle-toes Vose dancing through the Gateshead defence on 70 minutes.

Vose picked up the ball from a short free-kick, burst past one lunging tackle, skipped between two more tackles, beat another defender on his left before cutting inside another onto his right-foot to coolly slot home from close-range.

He was not done there either, doubling his tally with Wrexham’s fourth and final goal with 15 minutes to play, converting Jennings’ low pass from the edge of the area to cap a fine win.

What they said: “Perhaps one of the best goals ever witnessed at the Racecourse” – Daily Post


Wrexham – Taylor, Smith, Hudson, Fyfield, Newton, Nolan (Caton 73), Evans (Carrington 71), Moke, York, Jennings (Gray 78), Vose.

Unused subs: White, Jackson

Gateshead – Russell, Ramsden, Clark, Buddle, Cranston, Pattison, Mafuta (Baxter 73), McLaughlin, Johnson (Shaw 79), Honeyman, Bowman (Phillips 55).

Unused subs: Curtis, MacDonald

Worst of times: Wrexham 2-7 Gateshead (19/02/2011)

After Gateshead’s promotion to the National League in 2009, things got off to a bad start in this fixture with a dismal 1-0 defeat at Gateshead International Stadium in March the following year.

The game, on a miserable, typically North-Eastern evening, saw Lamine Sakho miss two chances, before he was replaced on 77 minutes and was changed and outside the ground as the fans filed out 15 minutes later – never to play for the club again.

Surely things would not get worse? Oh, but they could… and how.

At the Racecourse the following season, things started badly for Wrexham in this February clash and just got worse and worse.

Despite good form in the build-up to the game, Wrexham fell behind after just 20 seconds when Jon Shaw fired in at the near post.

Marvin Andrews headed against the bar and Andy Morrell pulled one back from Andy Mangan’s cross in the 12th minute, but parity lasted just two minutes.

Nathan Fisher followed in from close-range after Chris Maxwell could only parry a save on 14 minutes and four minutes later Martin Brittain scored from the spot after Andrews’ handball.

It was 4-1 on 32 minutes, when Kris Gate found a huge gap in the Dragons’ defence to tee up Fisher for his second, before more slack defending allowed Craig Nelthorpe to sneak in and add a fifth before half-time.

A half-time reshuffle from Dean Saunders ensued, with both substitutes straight into the action – the linesman’s flag sparing Frank Sinclair’s blushes when he put through his own net, before Jamie Tolley pulled one back from close-range.

Brittain twice teed up Shaw for two more goals, however, with the striker’s hat-trick leading Gateshead to a 7-2 win.

And it was not just matters on the pitch that made for a miserable afternoon, with widespread protests and anger off the pitch amid rumours Steven Vaughan was lining up a takeover.

Fortunately, the protests did not fall on deaf ears, however, with the Supporters Trust ultimately taking over before the year was out.

What they said: “One of the most soul-destroying halves of football Wrexham fans have been subjected to for years – and that’s saying something.” – Wales Online


Wrexham – Maxwell, McMillan (Taylor 57), Creighton, Andrews, Ashton, Harris, Blackburn (Sinclair 46), Keates, Mangan, Pogba (Tolley 46), Morrell.

Unused subs – Cieslewicz, Knight-Percival

Gateshead – Deasy, Tavernier, Clark, Curtis, Liddle, Brittain (Gillies 82), Turnbull, Gate (Winn 79), Nelthorpe, Shaw (Wake 78), Fisher.

Unused subs – Farman, Baxter

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube