FA YOUTH CUP | Long Eaton United 3-5 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Wed 30 Oct 2019

Jake Bickerstaff scored twice as Wrexham beat Long Eaton United to reach the FA Youth Cup second round.

In an eight-goal thriller at Long Eaton, Bickerstaff scored twice, while Calum Huxley, Sam Williams and Luke Urey also netted for the Young Dragons.

It means Dan Nolan’s side, who had already beaten Solihull Moors and Sheffield FC in this year’s competition, are through to the second round to face either Lincoln City or Rushall Olympic.

Wrexham started with ten of the team that started the 3-2 win against Sheffield 3-2, with Ryan Austin the one change in place of Cian Williams.

Bickerstaff put Wrexham in front from the spot with just a few minutes gone - converting a penalty for the second consecutive round.

Long Eaton hit back, however - two goals in quick succession midway through the half turning the game on its head.

Huxley levelled just before the interval, however, to ensure the sides went in all square.

Having had to come from behind for the first time in this year’s competition, Wrexham then shot out of the blocks to seize control of the tie after the break.

Bickerstaff’s second of the game restored Wrexham’s lead - the second consecutive round in which the striker has netted twice.

And Sam Williams made it 4-2 in the 54th minute with his first goal of this year’s competition.

Long Eaton hit back again to make for a nervy final 15 minutes at The Grange for Nolan’s team.

Although they were reduced to 10-men on 76 minutes, when James Taylor received a second yellow card and was ordered off.

But late substitute Luke Urey’s even later effort sealed a 5-3 win and ensured Wrexham are into the second round of the competition.

Lincoln City and Rushall Olympic meet on November 6, with Wrexham drawn away to the winners of that tie in the next round.

Long Eaton United: Jake Beresford Allen, England, Smith, Weatherall, Fearon, Bassey, Taylor, Widdowson, Wilson, Gale.
Subs: Sandhu, Oakland, Warwick, Vinsant Saunders, Jesze, Tsolakis, Hill.

Wrexham: Tinkley, Beaumont, Nash, Cleworth, Austin, Jones, S.Williams (Parry 75), Humphreys (Jack Allen 90+2), Robinson-Murray, Huxley (Urey 89), Bickerstaff.
Subs: All three used.

Referee: Martyn Gospel (Northants)

Sending Off -
Long Eaton: Taylor (56, dissent - 76, delaying game)

Bookings -
Long Eaton:
Acklam (34, foul), Smith (54, foul)
Wrexham: Cleworth (58, delaying game), Robinson-Murray (79, dissent), Bickerstaff (90, delaying game)


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube