Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 20 Feb 2021

Wrexham's unbeaten run came to a disappointing end as Aldershot inflicted the heaviest league defeat of the season on The Dragons.

Dean Keates made one change from the side which beat Woking on Tuesday, with James Horsfield replacing Dan Jarvis, and things started off well as the opening 15 minutes saw Wrexham take control and create some good chances.

Dior Angus twice got in round the back of the defence in the opening minutes, and Kwame Thomas worked the keeper with a close range header from a Horsfield cross.

Then a long kick from Dibble found Angus one-on-one with goalkeeper Mitch Walker, but he couldn't get enough elevation on hs header and the keeper stretched to make a good tip-over.

A Luke Young free kick piced out Tyler French unmarked on the edge of the six yard box but his header went wide, much to the young defender's frustration.

It was completely against the run of play that Aldershot took the lead when Alfie Whittingham's cross evaded Christian Dibble and Joel Nouble tapped into the empty net.

The goal changed the balance of the game, as Aldershot gained confidence and Wrexham lost momentum.

The Dragons did have a chance to strike back swiftly though. Thomas did well to hold the ball up and feed Reece Hall-Johnson, who found Angus on the edge of the area. He laid the ball off neatly to Jordan Davies in space on the edge of the box but his shot went narrowly wide of the right post

Horsfield also had a shooting chance from a similar area after a Jamie Reckord corner was half-cleared to him, but he slipped on the muddy pitch and a speedy Kandi break was halted by a challenge by Hall-Johnson which the referee deemed worthy of a yellow card. His fellow wing-back Reckord would also go into the book before the break for retaliating after a heavy challenge from Whittingham which the referee surprisingly deemed permissable.

It was Aldershot who looked more dangerous in the closing stages of the half though, and Dibble had to be sharp to repel their efforts with a couple of parries. 

First, a terrific first time lay-off by Josh Rees teed up Kandi for a 15-yard low drive,and then Ricky Miller nipped the ball away from Fiacre Kelleher and drilled a shot in from a tight angle whoch Dibble blocked with his body.

The second half started disasterously as Nouble cut in from the left and drilled a powerful shot from distance which took a huge deflection, leaving Dibble with no chance.

The goal was a blow to The Dragons, who struggled to recover, while Aldershot started to play with real confidence. Young tested Mitch Walker with a long range free kick which was well held by the keeper, but the home side soon took control.

A nice ball down the right channel by Rees found Kandi, whose drive failed to find the top corner, and Ricky Miller then threatened with a terrific surge and shot which Dibble brilliantly tipped round the post.

The save was to prove a temporary reprieve though. The corner was half-cleared but Nouble picked the ball up and danced brilliantly through Wrexhams defence before squaring for Jermaine Anderson to tap in.

Nouble went for his hat trick soon afterwards, cutting in and shooting from a tight angle which Dibble held, and that was to prove to be the last serious effort they had on goal, as they settled into a more defensive approach in response to Wrexham's substitutions as they tried to throw everything they had at The Shots defence. Dan Jarvis, Elliott Durrell and Jordan Ponticelli came on as The Dragons went to a back four and took risks throwing men forwards.

Jarvis in particular was lively, spreading play well to Reckord and following his pass to receive the ball back and skilfully poke Angus in on goal, but his snap shot was too straight.

As the game entered the last ten minutes, Angus had two quickfire chances. A good Durrell diagonal allowed him to cut in and shoot, but again Walker was able to hold the shot, and moments later Thomas headed the ball on to Jarvis, whose rocket from the edge of the area was well saved by Walker, with Angus unable to find the target from the rebound.

Jarvis also had a good shout for a penalty when Killian Colombie appeared to foul him, and the substitute hit another stinging shot from the edge of the box which was blocked inadvertantly by a team mate.

Reckord had an effort when Fiacre Kelleher flicked a header to him from a free kick, but the left wing back drilled just wide from 15 yards.

Wrexham came desperately close to a consolation goal when a corner was cleared to Durrell whose vicious 25 yard shot swerved and dipped before hitting the bar. Angus raced to reach the rebound first, but Walker did brilliantly to leap to his feet and punch the ball clear before accidentally falling onto Thomas, who needed treatment and limped through added time.

The resultant corner fell to Durrell, whose whipped cross was met by French 10 yards out, his firm header forcing a save from Walker.

So Wrexham's unbeaten run came to an end, and Keates was left with plenty to ponder on the long trip home.

Aldershot: Walker , Whittingham, Sendles-White, Shroll, Colombie, Rees, Rowe, Anderson, Kandi (Panayiotou 57), Miller (Bettamer 73), Nouble (Edser 78). UNUSED SUBS: .Hall, Gillela.

Wrexham: Dibble, Hall-Johnson Durrell 64), French, Kelleher, Carrington, Reckord, Horsfield (Jarvis 65), Davies (Ponticelli.80), Young, Jarvis, Thomas, Angus. UNUSED SUBS: Redmond, Rutherford

Referee: Elliott Swallow


Aldershot - Rees, Panayiotou

Wrexham - Hall-Johnson, Reckord

Red Cards:

Aldershot - 

Wrexham - 

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube