MATCH REPORT | Barrow 0-0 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Tue 27 Nov 2018

No goals at Holker Street as Wrexham has to settle for a point from their midweek visit to the Lake District, but the encouraging signs for the travelling fans will have been a debut for Bobby Grant.

The on-loan striker got into position to test home keeper Joel Dixon on a number of occasions, so it will be nice to see how he improves as his game time grows.

Inside two minutes, Barrow created the first opening, when two home players managed to miss their chances and when the ball was crossed back in by Tyler Smith, it looked like John Rooney would easily head home from six-yards, but his effort went wide of the target.

Right winger Brian Wilson was enjoying plenty of possession in the opening exchanges, with the Bluebird testing Mark Carrington on the wet surface and sending in a series of crosses that needed to be cleared by the Wrexham defenders.

Rooney was on the end of a half clearance after 14 minutes, but from the edge of the box was unable to keep his shot down and it hit the dressing rooms behind Rob Lainton’s goal.

Wilson’s next contribution was to bring down Rekeil Pyke on the side of the home area, a yard short of the bye line, after 18 minutes. Luke Summerfield crossed the free kick in, by goalkeeper Joel Dixon was able to claim it easily enough.

Dixon had to be alert t race from his box on 24 minutes, as Pyke chased after a through ball, with the keeper getting their first and clearing down field.

Grant was denied a goal a minute later as he got on the end on of a James Jennings cross and had to watch on as his looping header beat the keeper from eight-yards but came back of the foot of the left-hand post.

Pyke received some treatment on 27 minutes, before leaving the field to be replaced by Paul Rutherford, a former Barrow player himself.

Rooney showed some of his undoubted class on the half hour, as he collected the ball and fired a 30-yarder on target and forced Lainton to hurry to his left and collect.

Summerfield replied in kind just a moments later, when he fired his own long-range effort that had Dixon scurrying across his goalmouth, but the ball passed the far post, bouncing behind for a goal kick.

Back up the other end and Barrow threw bodies forward resulting in a Kenny Augustein shot that Lainton saved with his legs. The follow up corner came in and Jake Lawlor was happy to head behind for a second flag kick, one that Wilson fired over from eight-yards out after a scramble in the Wrexham box.

Grant was denied again on 42 minutes, when he took a long throw from Lainton, beat his marker 30-yards form goal and left footed fired in a shot that Dixon was just happy to palm behind for a corner.

It was a second piece of neat football from the Fleetwood

Pearson was booked for a foul on the halfway line.

Ht 0-0

Connor Brown appeared for Wilson at the restart.

Walker had the opening effort of the half on 52 minutes, as he tried his luck from distance, but it passed the right hand upright on this occasion.

On the hour, Grant took on a pass from the speeding Rutherford and forced a fine save from Dixon, with the loose ball running to Young, whose follow up shot was deflected away.

Josh Kay was sent on for Augustein on 61 minutes, as Barrow replaced the former Swansea City midfielder.

Next it was a one-two between Summerfield and Beavon, which saw the former volley a bouncing ball goalwards, but it was not really going to worry the home keeper.

Barrow’s first real opening of the second period came on 65 minutes, when a cross from their left was met by the head of Jacob Blyth, with the tall forward directing his effort goalwards, by Lainton was able to collect it under his cross bar.

This was followed up a few minutes later with a low effort from Kay, but the Wrexham keeper was behind it, as the home side enjoyed a period of possession.

With home crowd booing Jennings at every touch, because the referee didn’t give their team a free-kick they felt they deserved, the full back spotted Grant making a run on the right flank. His long cross field ball carried only inches over the striker’s head as he closed in on the home goal.

Rutherford made yards on the left, cut inside and from 25-yards tried a curling effort that Dixon was just about able to claim high to his left.

Rooney sent a teasing corner in for the Bluebirds on 74 minutes, and although xxx got his head to the bal at the near post he could only deflect it over the bar

There was a booking for Walker shortly afterwards, spotted by the assistant, and Jack Hindle replaced Smith before the free kick was taken.

In a Helter Skelter few minutes, Lainton managed to save Rooney’s set piece from 30-yards, before Hindle sent over a dangerous cross that evaded everyone in the Wrexham six-yard box.

As we entered the final stretch of the night, Mike Fondop’s fresh legs were introduced for Beavon.

In the final minute of normal time, Fondop snatched at a half chance, pulling his shot across the face of the home goal.

After four added minutes, the referee signalled the end of the match and the teams shared a 0-0 draw.

Barrow: Dixon, Bartham, Norrington-Davies, Granite, Wilson, Jameson, Taylor, Augustein (Kay 61), Rooney, Blyth, Smith (Hindle 76).
Subs: Burgess, Sousa.

Wrexham: Lainton, Roberts, Lawlor, Pearson, Jennings, Summerfield, Walker, Young, Grant, Pyke (Rutherford 27), Beavon (Fondop 82).
Subs: Dibble, Wright, Maguire-Drew.

Referee: Matthew Dicicco (Cleveland)
Attendance: 851
Away: 116

Bookings -
Pearson (43, foul), Walker (76, foul)


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube