MATCH REPORT | Bethesda Athletic Ladies 2-1 Wrexham AFC Women

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sun 21 Oct 2018

Wrexham AFC Women's unbeaten start to the season was ended today in a dreary Gwynedd after a 2-1 loss to title contenders Bethesda Athletic Ladies.

The wet conditions proved a challenge in the opening exchanges for Wrexham with Ffion Roberts being played through and forcing an excellent save from Kat Jones inbetween the sticks for Wrexham.

However, Bethesda made their pressure pay and on the 5th minute, Ffion Roberts latched onto a rebounded shot and Sarah Cowell couldn't get her body in the way of the shot in time and Bethesda went up 1-0.

Wrexham responded well as the women in red pressured the Bethesda back line to force a misplaced pass that fell to the feet of Lauren Reese and she hit a perfectly executed curled effort right into the top right hand corner, a real postage stamp effort to equalise the game.

As the play ebbed and flowed between both teams, Kat Jones in the Wrexham goal had to deal with a dangerous ball into the box which skimmed off the wet surface and was parried away.

26 minutes in however, Wrexham went 2-1 after a corner rebounded to Katie Midwinter just outside the box and she curled her shot just past the keeper to put the hosts back in the asendency.

Just before the half, Lauren Reese looked to double her tally for the day however her effort fizzed just past the post and that was the last action of the half as Captain Abbey Hughes went down injured and had to be replaced in the break.

The second half was dominated by Bethesda as they pressured for another goal however Wrexham stayed firm at the back with Lily Clifton-Stringer making an excellent last ditch tackle to knock the ball away from what looked a certain goal.

Jessie Griffiths recieved the only Yellow Card of the game for an accumulation of fouls as the defensive dynamo looked to break up play and cause Bethesda problems going forward.

Lauren Reese again almost equalised for Wrexham as her free kick around 30 yards out was hit sweetly and the Bethesda keeper just managed to tip the ball onto the bar as it looked almost certain to go in.

Wrexham had the last chance of note in the game as Savannah Palin jinked her way through the defence and fired off a shot but it was always rising.

Wrexham, although unhappy with losing their unbeaten run and dropping to second in the table, will take heart from their performance and look to correct the mistakes in their next game where they face Llanfair United Ladies in the cup.

WREXHAM AFC WOMEN: K.Jones, Lear, Griffiths, Cowell, Clifton-Stringer, Buckley, A.Hughes, Richards, Palin, Williams, Reese.

SUBSTITUTES: Wright, A.Jones

BETHESDA ATHLETIC LADIES: S.Jones, Evans, McGoona, N.Roberts, Allsup, S.Jones, Beddall, Ellis, Midwinter, Ceri Thomas, F.Roberts

SUBSITIUTES: Aston, R.Roberts, Cerys Thomas, C. Hughes

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube