MATCH REPORT | Chesterfield 1-1 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 27 Oct 2018

The Reds paid the price for not adding to their first half advantage and let two points slip from their grasp as Chesterfield scored a 90th minute equaliser.

Brad Walker had put us in front from the penalty spot, after a handball by Will Evans, before Jonathan Smith headed home their leveller as the game was almost up.

Several changes from midweek with Shaun Pearson, Paul Rutherford and Mike Fondop all returning, but Luke Summerfield and Doug Tharme still suffering with knocks.

In the opening exchanges, there was a yellow card for home striker Tom Denton, as the referee spotted a foul on Brad Walker.

With a strong wind at their backs, and the long throw-ins from Sam Muggleton to aid their cause, the Spireites looked to take the early initiative and put Wrexham on the back foot.

Then a handball by Chesterfield captain Will Evans on 19 minutes, as he was put under pressure from Rekeil Pyke, saw a penalty awarded to the visitors. Brad Walker was given the ball and from 12-yards hit the back of the net – much to the delight of the massed Wexham support facing him.

Two minutes later and Rutherford fired over a right-wing cross that beat the covering defender, bouncing up in front of Fondop and as the big man was always stretching, his effort carried over the cross bar from 10-yards out.

More good work from the attacking Reds, roared on by the travelling hordes, saw Pyke pull the ball back for Akil Wright – who took one touch and fired in an effort that forced Callum Burton into a flying save to tip the shot over his own cross bar.

Not to be out done, a freekick for the home side on 28 minutes, 25-yards out in front of goal, saw centre half Evans fire in a shot that had some power behind it and return back into play off one of the net supports!

Just after the half hour, a deep free kick from Luke Young, was met by the head of Pyke at the back post and while he made good contact, he was virtually on the goal line to start with and it went into the side netting.

On a quick break by Hines on 39 minutes, the winger broke into the Wrexham box and pulled his pass back for the unmarked Joe Rowley, but from 12-yards he couldn’t find the target and skied his effort into the home fans.

Young was then at the heart of two Wrexham chances in quick succession, winning a corner on both occasions.

Then into added time at the end of the first half, the former Torquay man was at it again, firing in a swerving shot that just pulled away from the back post, as the home keeper was scurrying across his goal.

A change at the break, as James Jennings replaced Mark Carrington, while a more tactical alteration for the home side as defender Evans, on a booking, made way for winger Lee Shaw.

First chance came on 48 minutes and Wright was unfortunate to see his dipping effort from the edge of the home area just carry of the cross bar.

Two set pieces then followed for Wrexham as first Pearson and then Fondop did get their heads to the ball, but both times not enough to worry Burton.

Two changes, one for each side, as the hour mark approached, with Hanani Amantchi taking over from Denton, while Stuart Beavon was on for Fondop.

There was a yellow card for Muggleton two minutes later, as he pulled back Beavon, as the Reds looked to break.

Chesterfield were still in the game and on 65 minutes a shot by Jerome Binnom-Williams was blocked by one of his own teammates, before in the follow up Hines fired an angled drive a yard over the target.

Next on for the Reds was Chris Holroyd, as he took over from Pyke after 75 minutes. While a minute later the final substitute of the afternoon was Andrew Kiwomya on for Muggleton.

Rob Lainton had to be on his toes shortly afterwards, to block an effort by Shaw.

From a corner on 83 minutes, Laurence Maguire came around the back of the pack unnoticed, but his header was straight at Lainton.

Haines also hit a cross cum shot, that flew in front of the Wrexham goal without anyone able to get on the end of it. While Maguire was only inches over with a header from a Binnom-Williams corner.

Strangely enough the referee then booked Lainton for time wasting, when the ball was in the back of the stand from Maguire’s header!

As the clock ticked to 90 minutes, a cross from Binnom-Williams found Smith unmarked at the back post to head home their equaliser.

Chesterfield: Burton, Denton (Amantchi 59), Maguire, Smith, Binnom-Williams, Hollis, Hines, Evans (Shaw 46), Muggleton (Kiwomya 76), Weston, Rowley.
Subs: Antoine Fortune, Reid.

Wrexham: Lainton Roberts, Lawlor, Pearson, Carrington (Jennings 46), Wright, Walker, Young, Rutherford, Fondop (Beavon 59), Pyke (Holroyd 75).
Subs: Dibble, Maguire-Drew.

Referee: Chris Pollard (Suffolk)
Attendance: 5,662
Away: 1,520

Bookings -
Denton (4, foul), Evans (20, handball), Muggleton (62 foul), Shaw, (81, foul)
Wrexham: Pearson (33, foul), Walker (76, foul), Lainton (88, time wasting)

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube