MATCH REPORT | Ebbsfleet 3-0 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Tue 10 Apr 2018

It was not a good night in Kent for the Reds as fell to a heavy defeat, after they were second best to a home side that was chasing a play-off chance of their own.

Three-second half goals did the damage as Whitley, Kedwell and Coulson scored against a Wrexham line-up that was missing the injured Holroyd and Wedgbury.

First chance of the night fell to Wrexham’s Scott Quigley, after being set up by striking colleague Simon Ainge, but the big striker’s effort from outside the box was comfortably collected by United keeper Nathan Ashmore.

On 10 minutes, a Marcus Kelly free kick from the corner of the Ebbsfleet box was floated towards the back post where Manny Smith climbed highest to win his header, but the ball arched onto the top of the home crossbar before bouncing behind.

Jack Powell earned the first caution the evening, when he pulled back Akil Wright on the half way line after 13 minutes.

United skipper Dave Winfield was fortunate not earn his team’s second yellow a minute later, when he pushed Quigley over some 30-yards from goal, receiving only a long lecture from referee Adrian Quelch.

United’s opening effort on the Wrexham goal came on 18 minutes, as after good work by Luke Coulson on the left, saw him pull the ball back for Powell to hit a rising effort from outside the ball.

This was followed four minutes later by a long throw in by right back Marvin McCoy that was met by the head of Winfield in the Wrexham box, but he couldn’t direct his effort on target.

A Kelly free kick on the half hour, after Quigley was tripped 35-yards out, was sent up and over the wall, but Ashmore had it cover and caught with two hands.

The ball went straight to the other end, where a kind deflection saw the ball drop into the path of Coulson, who was left with just keeper Chris Dunn to beat, but the Wrexham man stood his ground and save the angled effort.

Next up was Fleet’s experienced striker Danny Kedwell, who was fed in and with the goal at his mercy, pulled his effort wide of the far post.

Before Powell received a final warning for yet another foul, quite fortunate it wasn’t a second yellow.

After a loose ball out of the Wrexham defence, it was picked up by the home left back Sean Shields, who had the time and space to push onto the edge of the Wrexham box and fire a low effort that Dunn was just glad to block, before grabbing at the second attempt.

Right on the break, the was a second yellow as McCoy was booked for a foul on James Jennings.

Ht 0-0

The home side took the lead on 50 minutes, when winger Whitley rifled home a shot from out wide that whipped passed Dunn.

Wrexham responded a few minutes later with an effort by Quigley, but the big man’s shot was always a foot or two wide of Ashmore’s right-hand post.

While the home were quite happy to concede possession and let Wrexham chase a way back into the match, they were also a danger on the break, as Coulson illustrated on 63 minutes.

Ebbsfleet broke down their right and created a two-man advantage on the left, allowing Coulson room to fire an effort that flew inches wide of Dunn’s right-hand post.

A Deverdics free kick from 25-yards, that flew into the away terracing, was the signal for Wrexham to make the first change of the night, with Jack Mackreth replacing Rutherford on 67 minutes.

Despite the weather forecast showing only an 8% chance of rain, for the second consecutive visit to the London area, Wrexham fans were left isolated on an open terrace at the mercy of a heavy downpour.

The first serious save that Ashmore had to make came on 76 minutes, after along pass from Jennings on the left, found its way across to Kelly, cutting in from the right, and as he met the bouncing ball, the home keeper was forced tip it away for a corner.

The travelling supporters thought that had some joy on 80 minutes, as Pearson headed on for Quigley finish well under pressure from Ashmore, but an assistant’s flag was to deny them.

On came Boden for Wright on 82 minutes, as play was stopped for treatment to the home keeper, who walked 20+ yards off his goal line and sat down in the middle of the park!

But before the substitution could make any difference, Danny Kedwell was given a sight of goal from 12-yards and he drilled a low effort into the Wrexham net to stretch the Fleet’s lead.

The final nail in the coffin came in added time as Coulson, on the run, fired home an unstoppable effort from about 15-yards out.

A winless run of four games could hardly come at more importune stage of the season, as the race for play-off places comes sharply into focus.

Ebbsfleet United: Ashmore, McCoy, Winfield, Clark, Powell (Wilson 90+2), Drury, Kedwell, Shields (Weston 86), Coulson, Bush, Whitely (Wabo 74).
Subs: Connors, Miles.

Wrexham: Dunn, Raven, M. Smith, Pearson, Jennings, Rutherford (Mackreth 67), Wright (Boden 82), Kelly, Deverdics, Ainge, Quigley.
Subs: Dibble, Carrington, Franks.

Referee: A Quelch (Dorset)
Attendance: 1,376
Away: 150ish

Bookings -
Ebbsfleet United:
Powell (13, foul), McCoy (45, foul)

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube