MATCH REPORT I AFC Fylde 3-2 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Tue 24 Sep 2019

Despite scoring our first ever goals at Fylde’s home ground and twice taking the lead through Jake Lawlor and then Jason Oswell, defensive mistakes and a half time double substitution by the home side swung the game back in favour of the Coasters.

Wrexham took an early lead when a Luke Summerfield free kick into the Fylde box wasn’t cleared and a shot from Michael Chambers hit Jake Lawlor and deflected across the face of the goal to beat Dan Lavercombe on seven minutes.

The travelling supporters were naturally delighted to see the ball hit the back of the home net, as we managed our first strike in four visits to this part of Lancashire.

The Reds continued to play more than their part in this match, despite the Coasters looking to get back on level terms as quickly as they could.

Jazzi Barnum-Bobb then put a great low ball into the box on 21 minutes, Mark Harris stepped over it for James Jennings behind him, but he clashed with his marker and the referee blew for a foul against the Wrexham man.

Defensive troubles came back to haunt the Reds just before the half hour, when a back pass put Christian Dibble into trouble, with two white shirts closing in on him.

The keeper’s first touch took him away from one man, but his clearance was charged down and Danny Rowe had the time and space to pick his spot to fire home the equaliser.

Wrexham responded with a deep Jennings cross that was aimed for Redmond, but was only headed clear to Summerfield, whose first-time effort from outside the area sailed over the home goal.

The home side then saw Jordan Williams fire a shot on the run high into the terraces housing the Wrexham fans.

With Harris having his ankles tapped in midfield, he was still able to play the ball out to Jennings on the left, where new boy Tyler Forbes jumped in to foul the Red and was booked for his troubles.

As we went into added time at the end of the first half, a ball over the top was taken by Jason Oswell on his chest and he fired a low effort just wide of the target.

Before the home side could settle, Harris was away down the left and his ball into the middle was fired home by Oswell, rifling in a low effort as Lavercombe dived to his left, to give the visitors the lead again as half time sounded.

Ht 1-2

At the break, Dan Bradley and Nick Haughton were on for Willoughby and Whitmore, as Fylde made a double switch.

A Young corner from the left found the head of Lawlor, eight yards out and forced a good save by Lavercombe.

The home side then raced straight up field, but Pearson had recovered to snuff out the danger as Rowe hovered looking for another opportunity.

Next up was, Jazzi Barnum-Bobb who showed his pace to race into the home box, but his square ball was behind Redmond, only half cleared, allowing Harris to spin on the edge of the box, but his effort carried over the home crossbar.

Bobb and Harris combined to take the ball off Scott Duxbury on the Wrexham right wing and the latter’s deep cross was away from the keeper, but a yard in front of Redmond.

With 57 minutes on the clock, the Reds lost the ball and Rowe, ever alert to a half chance, snapped a shot from distance that drifted wide of Dibble’s right-hand post.

Fylde were back on level terms again, when a shot by Dan Bradley on 59 minutes seemed to fool the Wrexham keeper, who appeared to try and kick it clear, but off the slick surface he mistimed it and the ball sailed on into the net.

Minutes later a Young free kick was met by the diving head of Oswell and he forced Lavercombe into a fingertip save to push the ball away for a corner.

Dibble did make a great save from Bradley on 65 minutes, when he blocked the striker in a one-on-one situation after Rowe had fed in the substitute.

Although there was no denying the other substitute Nick Haughton, when unleashed an unstoppable effort from distance just two minutes later. It arrowed into th net to give Fylde the lead for the first time.

With the bit between their teeth, Fylde were pushing forward and moving the ball around well.

At a corner for the hone side, Neill Byrne’s header came back off the crossbar and as the ball dropped to the penalty spot, Dibble was off his line to block Kyle Jameson’s follow up shot.

Dibble then made a diving save to deny Haughton’s curling effort, pushing the ball away to his left and he also denied Rowe’s low shot a few minutes later.

There was a double change for Wrexham on 79 minutes, as Redmond was replaced by Bobby Grant and then Leighton McIntosh came on for Harris.

A last throw of the dice saw Paul Rutherford on for Lawlor, as Reds pushed men forward seeking a later goal.

A right-wing cross was headed down by Oswell for Grant, but his shot was blocked by a white shirt.

In the end, a sequence of Wrexham corners were not enough to find up a late leveller and more points slipped away from the Reds.

AFC Fylde: Lavercombe, Byrne, Whitmore (Haughton 46), Jameson, Forbes, Duxbury, Croasdale, Philliskirk, Rowe Willoughby (Bradley 46), Williams.
Subs: Montgomery, Yates, Ngwatala.

Wrexham: Dibble, Barnum-Bobb, Lawlor (Rutherford 88), Pearson, Chambers, Jennings, Summerfield, Young, Redmond (Grant 79), Oswell, Harris (McIntosh 79).
Subs: Szczepaniak, Carrington.

Referee: Paul Howard
Attendance: Not Given
Away: 300 approx

Bookings –
AFC Fylde:
Forbes (39 foul)
Wrexham: Pearson (63, foul)

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube