MATCH REPORT I Solihull Moors 3-1 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Tue 01 Oct 2019

There was no lack of effort and some good football a times from the Reds, particularly in the second half, but conceding a couple of early goals was too much of a hurdle for the Welshmen to overcome on a wet and windy night.

Jamey Osborne and Jamie Reckord gave the home side what looked a comfortable half time advantage, although Bobby Grant offered us some hope when getting on the end of sweeping move aftet the break, but a few minutes later that two-goal deficit was reinstated, as Osborne scored direct from a corner.

Early Wrexham pressure saw Luke Summerfield’s shot deflected away for a corner, that the Moors took several goes to clear after seven minutes.

But only for a throw in that came back to Rutherford, he nipped in between two defenders and laid off the ball towards Summerfield, who made contact and guided it goalwards, before it appeared to be cleared from close to the line.

The Moors promptly went down to the other end and a long throw in by Paul McCallum was punched away by Christian Dibble, through a crowd, but only to the edge of the box, where Jamey Osborne took aim and fired his effort into the Wrexham net.

On 22 minutes, Bobby Grant left the ball run across him from a right wing throw in and fired a first-time effort that curled round the diving Ryan Boot, but also inches passed the upright.

A few minutes later, former Red Danny Wright found some room on the edge of the Wrexham box, to send on a low shot that was well held by the diving Dibble as other strikers were ready pounce on any rebound.

But within 60 seconds, Jamie Reckord grabbed a second for Solihull, as he latched onto a loose ball, as Osbourne sent a square pass Osborne into space and fired a rising shot into the roof of the Wrexham goal.

On 34 minutes, Shaun Pearson stepped across Osborne as the home man headed towards goal and conceded a free kick, which was placed inches outside the penalty area – he was though booked.

Osborne hit a curling effort, from the free kick and while it always going just wide, it wasn’t by much.

A slick passing moving from deep in their own half took the Reds to the edge of the Solihull box, but the final pass in from Summerfield was just too far in front on the onrushing Jason Oswell.

On 41 minutes, a cross from Wright on the right carried over Osborne in the middle, but Reckord appear late and in space, although this time his effort flew high into the night sky.

Ht 2-0

Three minutes into the second half and a cross from Rutherford was aimed at the near post, where Oswell jumped with Boot, heading the ball goalwards but off the keeper for a corner.

Shortly afterwards, a three-man Wrexham break saw Summerfield, follow them up field and as the ball came back to him, his shot came off defender Alex Gudger and ran behind.

From the corner the ball dropped in the box and Pearson’s shot was blocked on the lone by Reckord, before Rutherford’s follow up effort only hit Pearson!

With JJ Hooper stripped on the sidelines, a high Barnum-Bobb cross was well claimed by Boot.

On 57 minutes, the striker was introduced for Oswell, in a like for like change.

Still looking for chances, Grant and Summerfield stretched the home defence when running at them, but the latter’s shot from the edge of the box was over the target.

Next up was a Grant shot that came off Liam Daly for another corner.

ON 64 minutes ths pressure as rhe Reds scored a fantastic effort through Bobby Grant, in a mober that took them from their own line all the way

Dibbs then pulled off a low diving save to deny Osborne, who fired from the edge of the box.

The action switched back to the other end and Rutherford forced a save from Boot, after he slipped through the back line to get a sight of the target.

The home side then looked to slow things down as they replaced McCallum with Yussuf.

From a Solihull corner moments later and the good work was undone, as Osborne curled his flag kick directly into the net on 70 minutes.

A Jennings free kick from 25 yards caused Boot problems, but he managed to control the ball at the second attempt.

Mark Harris was sent on for Barnum-Bobb on 76 minutes, as we pushed another man forward, reverting to a flat back four.

A looping Jennings cross was knocked down towards Carrington, but the veteran’s effort carried over the Solihull cross bar.

As Wrexham pushed men forward looking for a foothold back into the game Yussuf was able to make a break down their right, but his shot did actually hit a corner flag!

Wright was booked for pushing over Young on 85 minutes, some 25-yatrds out.

There was no luck for JJ Hooper though, as Young’s low free kick was only parried by the keeper and as the striker finished from close range the linesman’s flag denied him for offside.

As the 90 minutes clocked up, Summerfield was denied by Boot’s diving save, with the keeper glad to push the ball away for a corner.

An added five minutes was shown.

Wrexham kept pushing forward, with Boot claiming a cross from Jennings with Jennings challenging him.

Solihull Moors: Boot, Reckord, Storer, Daly, Gudger, Osborne (Hawkridge 83), McCallum (Yussuf 67), Gunning, Wright (Neufville 90), Vaughan, Howe.
Subs: Williams, Hancox.

Wrexham: Dibble, Burnum-Bobb (Harris 76), Lawlor, Pearson, Carrington, Jennings, Summerfield, Young, Rutherford, Grant, Oswell (Hopper 57).
Subs: Szczepaniak, Barton, Wright.

Referee: E Swallow (Lancs)
Attendance: 1,425
Away: 300 approx

Bookings –
Wright (85, foul)
Wrexham: Pearson (34, foul)

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube