MATCH REPORT | Maidenhead United 2-2 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Mon 03 May 2021

Second half goals from Jordan Davies and Dior Angus saw Wrexham come from 2-0 down to earn a point at Maidenhead.

A sensational long range effort from Sam Barrett opened the scoring before the lead was doubled minutes later via James Comley.

After the break, Davies and Angus - the latter of which came off the bench - bagged the goals to see the points shared.

Dean Keates made changes to his side with Chris Sang making his first start whilst Tyler French replaced Reece Hall-Johnson and Jamie Reckord returned from injury replacing Cameron Green. Paul Rutherford also returned in place of Jay Harris.

Wrexham started the game brightly, with Gold Omotayo's header bound for goal but intercepted before Shaun Pearson's vollet on the turn was also blocked in the opening ten minutes.

On 15 minutes though it was United who took the lead, Barrett spotted Lainton off his line and struck an effort over his head from 40-yards out to give his side the lead.

Maidenhead were on top after the goal, and a volley at goal had to be claimed by Lainton even if he'd seen it late. Just before that, Davies had an effort of his own at goal blocked when shooting on his weaker foot.

Just after the half-hour mark Maidenhead doubled their advantage, as French sliced his clearance and Comley poked home from close range.

Wrexham did apply pressure with Luke Young's shot from distance blocked before Omotayo managed to turn and hit a goalbound effort, which was also snuffed out by the legs of a defender.

Maidenhead should have made it 3-0 before the break, as a low cross from the left zipped across goal but some heroic defending from Theo Vassell denied by putting it over his own crossbar.

Half-Time: Maidenhead United 2-0 Wrexham

Wrexham showed intent in the second half and created more oppurtunities - threatening the Magpies goal. Sang had a header go over the bar which took a touch off a Maidenhead defender to earn a corner on 55 minutes. It was swung in by Young and Davies peeled off his man to head home and reduce the defecit.

Minutes later Rutherford was sent through but dragged his effort from an angle wide. The momentum appeared to shift towards Dean Keates' side.

On 68 minutes, French's cross hit the top of the crossbar having taken a touch off a defender, but Wrexham couldn't capitalise from the corner. On 75 minutes Rutherford and Angus linked up down the right and found Davies inside the box, who drilled an effort at goal but it was heroicly blocked.

With the scores at 2-1 with less than 10 minutes to go, the Dragons needed to find that spark and substitute Dior Angus duly obliged, latching on to a through-ball before drilling it past the goalkeeper to restrore parity.

Neither side could find a late winner, sharing the points and keeping Wrexham in the playoffs spots at 6th.

Maidenhead: Maidenhead United: Lovett, Sheckleford, Parry, Massey, Sparkes, Upward, Wiltshire, Comley, Barratt, Orsi (Kelly 75'), Coley (Ince 85').
Subs: Keetch, Smith, Egan.

Wrexham: Lainton, French, Vassell, Kelleher, Pearson, Reckord, Young, Davies, Rutherford (Harris 86'), Sang (Angus 64'), Omotayo.
Subs: Dibble, Jarvis, Ponticelli.

Referee: Steven Copeland (Merseyside)

Bookings -
Maidenhead United:
Wiltshire (43', foul), Upward (86', simulation), Ince (90', time wasting)
Wrexham: Young (16', foul)

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube