Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 06 Mar 2021

For the first time in 48 games, Wrexham battled out a goalless away draw, claiming an excellent point at Sutton, who would have gone top if they had won.

In truth, the game contained little by way of goal scoring opportunities, as both defences stayed firm. However, as the game entered added time, both sides carved out their best chances of the match.

First a good spell of pressure by Wrexham saw both Reece Hall-Johnson and Jamie Reckord swing dangerous crosses into the box. Eventually the ball fell to Jordan Davies, who turned his man neatly to set up a shooting chance on his left foor from 15 yards. However, his effort, while powerful, was to close to Sutton keeper Dean Bouzanis.

Within a minute Sutton had won an attacking throw, which was propelled into the box by Barden. Hall-Johnson made a great headed intervention on the edge of the six-yard box as the bll was helped on, but it fell to Omar Bugiel, who ought to have done better than plant a header straight at Dibble from 6 yards.

Dean Keates made one enforced change from the side which beat Wealdstone last Saturday, with Hall-Johnson returning from injury to replace the suspended Theo Vassell. 

Wrexham were the first side to threaten, when in the fourth minute Kwame Thomas won a header to find Dior Angus. His well-weighted pass found the onrushing Hall-Johnson, whose first time drive was spectacularly parried by Bouzanis.

The Us responded with a corner which saw both centre backs have a go at goal: Ben Goodliffe's effort was blocked by Thomas and Louis John scuffed the rebound wide.

Wrexham survived a scare when Issac Olaofe collided with Christian Dibble, but the keeper was able to continue after treatment.

Throughout the opening period Wrexham won set pieces high in the opposing half, and created a couple of decent chances from them. First Reckord's corner was met beyond the far post by Davies, who headed over the bar, and then Fiacre Kelleher the centre back found himself in on goal when Sutton got their line wrong, but his chest touch was just too heavy, allowing Bouzanis to rush off his line and save at his feet.

The keeper also had to be alert to defy Angus, when a smart ball down the left by Elliott Durrell nearly set the striker free, Bouzanis racing out of the box to just make it to the ball first.

Sutton's best chance of the half came from a swift break by David Ajiboye down the right. He found an unmarked Will Randall in the box, but his first touch was poor. However, he was able to square the ball to Craig Eastmond, whose shot went wide of the left post.

United started the half positively, but Wrexham held firm and restricted them to a shot from the edge of the area from Harry Beautyman which took a deflection and was held by Dibble at the second attempt.

There was little more goalmouth incident in the second period, until that frantic conclusion. A Reckord corner led to a scramble which Sutton survived, and in the closing stages Angus did well to find Thomas in space 25 yards out, but he pulled his shot off target.

Sutton United: Bouzanis, Barden, Goodliffe, John, Milsom, Adjiboye (Browne 88'), Beautyman, Eastmond, Randall, Olaofe (Wilson 81'), Bugiel
Subs: Davis, Wyatt, Sho-Silva.

Wrexham: Dibble, Hall-Johnson, French, Kelleher, Carrington, Reckord, Young, Davies, Durrell, Thomas, Angus.
Subs: Horsfield, Harris, Jarvis, Rutherford, Ponticelli.

Referee: Daniel Middleton (Co Durham)

Bookings -
Eastwood (45+1', foul)
Wrexham: Young (44', foul), Hall-Johnson (54', foul), Davies (85', foul)


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube