MATCH REPORT | Wealdstone 4-3 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 17 Oct 2020

Our first clash with Wealdstone ended in huge disappointment as the home side enjoyed their first win of the season.

Wealdstone had the better of the first 15 minutes, but apart from a very optimistic penalty shout when Lafayette tripped over in the box it was actually Wrexham who made the better early chances. A great cross by Jamie Reckord found Adi Yussuf unmarked 8 yards out, but his header was too close to the goalkeeper, and Jay Harris created an opportunity with an excellent tackle which set up a two-on-two break, but Yussuf failed to play the killer pass to Kwame Thomas.

Listen to the Final Whistle podcast of the Wealdstone game.

Wealdstone got the reward for their bright start when they took the lead after a quarter of an hour. The dangerous Dennon Lewis burst down the left flank and pulled the ball back for Charlie Wakefield to tap it in.

Wrexham were level within 70 seconds though. From the kick-off Reckord's long ball into the box was sliced past his goalkeeper by Jerome Okimo, who took a wild swipe at the ball from 15 yards out.

Two and a half minutes larer, Wrexham were ahead. An excellent tackle by Luke Young on Wakefield set up Yussuf to put the ball into the bottom right corner.

Soon afterwards there was a chance to extend the lead when Elliot Durrell's 20 yards rocket was parried by Harry Isted.

The goals kept coming, and Wealdstone restored parity with a remarkable strike from Jacob Mendy, who lashed the ball in from distance.

Wrexham started to take control after this swift exchange of goals. A great ball by Jay Harris found Thomas, who shrugged off the last defender but was halted when the referee gave a generous freekick to be home team.

Then Dureell won the ball back from a short Wealdstone goalkick, but Young's fierce 25-yard strike was saved the second attempt.

Next, Wrexham caused problems from a quick free kick. Durrell fizzed the ball across the face of goal, but neither Thomas nor Paul Rutherford could reach it.

With 10 minutes left of the half, Wrexham carved out an excellent chance. A long clearance by Lainton was well controlled by Rutherford who sent Thomas down the right channel, but his shot across goal scraped the left-hand post.

Soon afterwards, Rutherford was forced off by injury, to be replaced by Dan Jarvis.

Wrexham finished the half strongly. There was a final chance to go into the break ahead in the last of the three added minutes when Young's freekick found Theo Vassell 8 yards out but his header was too straight.

Wrexham were made to regret not getting a third goal as Wealdstone dominated the first 25 minutes of the second-half.

Mendy got into another good position but shot but over from 20 yards, before The Stones took the lead.

Dyer swept in an excellent freekick from the left which was headed home by Michee Efete,

Five minutes later Efete had another goal. An excellent corner from the right by Mendy was headed firmly home by the right back.

Wrexham began to respond after going two goals down. A change to a diamond released more players into attacking positions, and a nice piece of skill by Jarvis led to a scramble in the goalmouth

Wealdstone had a chance to really rub the visitors' noses in it when substitute Moses Emmanuel drove too close to Lainton, before Wrexham rallied to finish on the front foot, desperately searching for a way back into the game.

A high cross into the goalmouth ended with the ball in the net, but the referee ruled that the goalkeeper had been fouled, and 4 minutes later the official had another big decision to make.

An intense spell of pressure saw both Yussuf and Durrell have close range shots blocked before Jarvis seemed to be clearly fouled in the area, but the referee waved Wrexham's fevered appeals away.

There was still time, with 6 minutes left, for Thomas to nod down a Young free kick to Fiacre Kelleher who, alone in the box, was not able to hit the target.

Wrexham continued to toil away, and got a consolation goal when a long ball into Wealdstone's box led to another scramble, which conluded in Yussuf turning to drive the ball home from 15 yards.

There was barely time to restart the game, though, before the final whistle went, and Wrexham were condemned to a highly frustrating defeat.


Wealdstone: Isted; Efete, Okimo, Phillips (Cawley 47), Mendy; Smith, Benyu (Green 67), Dyer, Lewis, Lafayette (Emmanuel 70), Wakefield. Unused Subs: Charles, Slew. 

Wrexham: Lainton; Hall-Johnson, Vassel, Kelleher, Reckord; Rutherford (Jarvis 43), Harris, Young, Durrell; Yussuf, Thomas. Unused subs: Dibble, Davies, Horsfield, Redmond.

Referee: Matthew Russell.


Wealdstone: None

Wrexham: Harris, Vassell

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube