MATCH REPORT | Woking 1-1 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 05 Oct 2019

Brian Flynn will be much happier with this display, but our luck was out especially if the equaliser does go down as own goal, as against a Woking player getting a touch.

James Jennings fired us in front shortly after the second half got underway, although the leveller came with 14 minutes remaining.

Both teams pressed for a winner and substitute Mark Harris even hit a post with his header, but there was no further goals and the sides had to settle for a share of the soils.

Skipper Shaun Pearson missed out due to suspension and Jazzi Barnum-Bobb was omitted, so Michael Chambers and Adam Barton joined Jake Lawlor in a back three and captain for the day Mark Carrington switched to right back. While striker JJ Hooper sat out the trip south, still getting over his recent injury.

Wrexham opened the afternoon with two efforts from defenders, as first James Jennings skied his shot, while Chambers’ header from a Luke Young free kick drifted wide of the target.

The home side responded with striker Jamar Loza finding space in the Wrexham area for a low shot that Christian Dibble was quickly down to block.

On 17 minutes, the ever-dangerous Dave Tarpey was given a chance from the edge of the box, but smart reactions from Jennings saw the defender deflect the effort away for a corner.

A few minutes later, Bobby Grant headed clear a Woking free kick, to set off Mark Carrington, Luke Summerfield and Paul Rutherford. The trio combined to work Carrington to the edge of the Cards’ box, but his shot lacked the power to worry Craig Ross in the home goal.

It was Ross who denied a cracking volley from Luke Young on 23 minutes, tipping away the effort from outside the box. The chance coming after a net turn by Carrington on the right wing, before he then delivered a testing cross into the home area.

Woking made the most of two missed tackles to win a corner and from the cross Hyde headed goalwards, but Barton had the time to clear off his line for another corner.

This led to free kick 25 yards out that was taken by Tarpey for Woking and while he got his effort up and over the defensive wall, Dibble was across to collect at his right-hand post.

Straight to the other end and from a Wrexham corner the ball landed at the back post where Lawlor and Moussa Diarra challenged for it, but the defender got there first, firing the ball high into the big stand behind that goal.

Dibbs had to be on his toes after 36 minutes, when  hit a long pass for Diarra to head back into the path of Shaun Donnellan, and his first tie effort bounced up off the turf to force the Wrexham keeper to dive full length to push the ball away.

Two great passes in quick succession from Grant, saw set Jennings away for lay off inside that Jason Oswell fired at goal from six-yards, but a great reflex save by Ross kept the ball out of the home net.

Right on the 45 minutes, Jennings was booked for a foul deep in the Woking half.

Ht 0-0

Having kept Woking pinned in their own half for the opening two minutes from the kick-off, this early pressure paid off as James Jennings was the fourth or fifth man in a sweeping move and steering his low effort wide of Ross to give Wrexham the lead.

Two minutes later, a length of the field move saw Rutherford cross into the box and Young lay the ball off for Summerfield, but his curling effort carried just a bit too high.

On 54 minutes, more pressure led to a cross from Grant that Oswell met with his head and guided goalwards, only for Ross to grab it. Then moments later, Rutherford fired in a cross from the right that just evaded those in the centre of the goal.

Woking had their moments and long throw in by Jack Cook was headed down and Diarra’s snapshot was blocked, before Loza fired well over from the corner of the area.

Back to the other end, where Rutherford and Jennings combined to force another corner. Young crossed and in Oswell’s lovely cushioned header was aimed inside the back post, but Ross was somehow able to get across and tip the ball away.

Jennings forced yet another great save from Ross, when Oswell held up Chambers’ high ball to play in the overlapping defender on goal.

The action immediately swung to the other end, where a testing ball in from Loza was aimed at Tarpey lurcing in the middle, but Lawlor was happy to touch behind for a Woking corner.

There were three changes on 64 minutes, as Mark Harris replaced Carrington for the visitors, while Hyde and Edser went off for Ibrahim Meite and Paul Hodges for the locals.

With 20 minutes remaining, Tarpey found space on his right to deliver a good cross aimed at the tall Meite, who did get his into the ball, but was unable to direct his effort towards goal.

The same combination was in action as Tarpey’s cross was only inches in front of the speeding Meite, as the pair raced up field on a quick break.

This Woking pressure saw Dibble stretching his full frame to tip over a shot from Loza, as the striker tried his luck from the edge of the box.

Then on 76 minutes, another ball into the Wrexham box appeared to come off Lawlor, with Meite putting him under pressure, and diverted away from Dibble for the Woking equaliser.

Harris thought he had restored Wrexham’s lead with a header that came back off a post, with the on-loan Cardiff man then getting a second effort away, but Diarra was able to clear his lines this time.

Meite then charged down a Rutherford clearance, but the Wrexham man covered back and the resulting shot from distance carried over the cross bar.

Loza was booked for being down Young on the halfway line, as Wrexham set off on a quick break, then from the restart, Oswell was booked for obstructing the keeper.

An entertaining game, but one that could easily have yielded three points for the Dragons.

Woking: Ross, Casey, Cook, Diarra, Parry, Edser (Hodges 64), Ferdinand, Donnellan, Hyde (Meite 64), Tarpey (Kretzschmar 86), Loza.
Subs: Howes, Colliers.

Wrexham: Dibble, Carrington (Harris 64), Barton, Lawlor, Chalmers, Jennings, Summerfield, Young, Rutherford, Grant, Oswell.
Subs: Szczepaniak, Wright, Redmond, Tollitt.

Referee: Garreth Rhodes (N Yorks)
Attendance: 2,061
Away: 159

Bookings –
Loza (90+1, foul)
Wrexham: Jennings (45, foul), Oswell (90+2, foul)


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube