MATCH REPORT | Wrexham 0-0 AFC Fylde

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 28 Apr 2018

Wrexham played out a goalless draw with AFC Fylde on the final day of the season as any slim remaining hopes of the playoffs vanished.

Scott Quigley had the Reds' best chance of the game in the opening three minutes but it was the visitors that looked more likely throughout.

Despite finishing the game with ten men, Fylde held on to secure a point and confirm their place in the playoffs. Wrexham, meanwhile, were left to reflect on a missed opportunity.

Fylde began like a side with purpose, while Wrexham appeared sluggish. And it almost proved costly inside the first minute, as Andrew Bond saw an effort on goal blocked.

The visitors looked the more dangerous, although Wrexham nearly went in front early on with their first attack of note. Scott Quigley found his way into the box and seemed to place his finish into the far corner, but the shot had gone wide and the celebrating crowd slowly came to the realisation.

From then on it was Fylde that created the better openings. Shaun Pearson was needed to head off the line after a Chris Dunn mistake, and the visitors' forwards posed problems on the break.

Wrexham, meanwhile, were unable to break through their opposition. Jack Mackreth, who had replaced the injured Quigley, was lively in attack but there was a familiar lack of penetration in the final third.

A quick start gradually subsided and the game became subdued. At half time it was goalless, with neither side having fully taken control of the game.

Wrexham came close to taking the lead immediately after the break when Paul Rutherford struck the post with an effort from outside the box. Scott Boden attempted to follow up the rebound but couldn't connect with his shot.

Minutes later, it was Fylde's turn to squander an excellent chance. Lewis Montrose was set up with time and space in the box but guided a tame shot wide of the far post.

The away side continued to look the more dangerous as the half progressed. Wedbgury needed to head off the line from a corner and Dunn was forced into a flying save.

After some more dangerous situations came to nothing for Fylde, the impetus changed significantly when Luke Burke was shown a second yellow card with five minutes remaining.

Wrexham attempted to make use of their advantage in the final stages, but there was no way through and the season ended, almost fittingly, with a 0-0 draw.

Wrexham: Dunn, Roberts, Smith, Wedgbury, Jennings, Pearson, Rutherford, Wright, Kelly, Quigley (Mackreth 9 (Deverdics 72)), Boden.
Subs: Raven, Dibble, Ainge.

AFC Fylde: Lynch, Burke, Grand, Bond, Tunnicliffe (Lawlor 25), Francis-Angol, Smith, Hardy (Muldoon 67), Montrose, Finley, Rowe (Taylor 87).
Subs: Blinkhorn, Jones.

Referee: Alan Young (Cambs)
Attendance: 3,931
Away: 503

Sendings-Off -
AFC Fylde: Burke (86, second yellow)

Bookings -
Wrexham: Roberts (55, foul), Jennings (81, foul)
AFC Fylde: Tunicliffe (21, foul), Montrose (45, foul), Burke (64, foul)


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube