MATCH REPORT | Wrexham 0-0 Dagenham & Redbridge

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 01 Feb 2020

Wrexham were foiled at the Racecourse in a goalless affair against fellow underachievers Dagenham & Redbridge.

JJ Hooper provided Wrexham’s only real chance of the game, as his header was saved by the diving Elliot Justham in the 28th minute.

Wrexham would have surely been behind would it not have been for Rob Lainton. The star keeper was on hand twice in the second half, to stop former Red Tyler Reid from opening the scoring.

From what was a pretty tame and uneventful Premier League transfer window, Wrexham brought all the drama with ex Wrexham hero Jay Harris and loanee Jordan Thompson joining the club on transfer deadline day.

Thompson came straight into the team for an injured Mark Carrington, whilst Harris made the bench, as both players received international clearance for the game against Dagenham & Redbridge.

Goals from Hooper and James Jennings had secured an impressive away victory over an inform Harrogate side last time out, seeing Wrexham start this fixture in 17th position and two points clear of Dagenham & Redbridge in 20th.

The Daggers enjoyed the better of early proceedings, as the visitors had pinned Wrexham into their own half with five minutes on the clock.

Wrexham had started to find their footing in the game ten minutes in, but the game could only be described as scrappy in exchanges.

What a steal Dan Jarvis was for Wrexham! The new signing was twisting and turning the whole of Dagenham’s team in the 15th minute, creating a real buzz inside the Racecourse Ground.

Both sides struggled to create any form of a real chance. Ben House did spark boos in the home end, after a well executed dive saw him end up in referee Andrew Kitchen’s book in the 26th minute.

Some superb work from Jarvis allowed Rutherford to supply a cross to Hooper in the 28th. The Wrexham striker replied with a strong header, which was well saved by keeper Justham.

Dag & Red were generally holding up the ball well, whilst Wrexham looked to play on the counter, hoping a mistake would come from the Daggers backline in extremely windy conditions.

Dagenham created their first real chance in the 40th minute, but Sam Deering could only muster up a ‘daisy cutter’, whilst being off balance.

Although the first half ended 0-0, there were positives to take out of the game, as the ‘Red Wall’ looked solid against a flair Dagenham & Redbridge side.

There was a clear mindset change for Wrexham after the break, as they looked to dictate play in the early stages of the second half.

Hooper won a free-kick on the edge of the box in the 58th minute, after a foul from captain Kenny Clark. The cross from Luke Young found the head of Shaun Pearson, but the header looped over the crossbar.

The Daggers made the first substitution of the game, as Chike Kandi came on for the booked House in the 67th minute.

Mitch Brundle was showing off his one-twos outside the Wrexham box, before playing former Dragon Reid through. His shot from the angle was vicious and forced Lainton into palming the ball over the bar, as he stretched high above his head in the 75th minute.

Harris finally entered the field of play in the 78th minute, as he came on for Jennings who had gone down injured twice. The Wrexham faithful needed the old cult hero to find some magic to break the deadlock.

Reid almost gave the visitors the lead again in the 80th minute. He rose highest off a Luke Croll corner, but Lainton matched him once more and tipped the ball over the bar.

Davis Keillor-Dunn came on for a well worked Jarvis in the 84th minute, as Wrexham were playing on the counter once more.

Liam Gordon was booked in the 87th minute, after a flying challenge into Kieran Kennedy saw the pair go tumbling.

Luke Summerfield was booked in the dying embers of the game, as Wrexham’s impressive form was somewhat dwindled by the Daggers. Their new found flair was subdued in the game, as the match at the Racecourse finished 0-0.

Wrexham: (5-2-2-1): Lainton (GK), Jennings (Harris 78’), Pearson ©, Lawlor, Kennedy, Thompson, Summerfield, Young, Jarvis (Keillor-Dunn 84’), Rutherford, Hooper
Subs not used: Dibble (GK), Ponticelli, Cleworth

Dagenham & Redbridge: (5-2-3): Justham (GK), Eleftheriou, Onariase, Clark ©, Croll, Gordon, Robinson, Brundle, Deering, House (Kandi 67’), Reid
Subs not used: Strizovic (GK), Wright, Graham, Grant

Referee: Andrew Kitchen
Attendance: 4,024
Away: 74
Wrexham Bookings: Summerfield 90+5 (Foul)
Dagenham & Redbridge: Gordon 87’ (Foul)
Barlows’ Man of the Match: Rob Lainton

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube