MATCH REPORT | Wrexham 0-0 Hartlepool United

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Tue 12 Sep 2017

Wrexham, looking to extend their run of four clean sheets, entertained Craig Harrison's Hartlepool United at a very wet My Racecourse on Tuesday evening.

Wrexham kicked off towards the GUS, and the opening five minutes saw both teams trying to settle down on an immaculate Racecourse pitch. However, when Manny Smith sliced a clearance, it was the visitors who earned the first corner of the game. Easily cleared, Wrexham went straight up the field and produced the first shot of the game. 

In the 11th minute, Hartlepool won a free kickten yards into the Wrexham half, but Nicky Deverdics' accurate cross was headed high over Callum Preston's goal.

On 17 minutes, a late challenge from Leo Smith was perhaps fortunate not to see the referee reach for his book, but once again, Hartlepool failed to make anything of the resulting free kick.

The game was becoming scrappy and congested in the swirling drizzle, with neither side able to create any decent openings. 

On 26 minutes, Alex Reid found himself through on a one on one with the Hartlepool 'keeper Loach, only for the referee's assistant to flag for a very marginal offside. 

When Wrexham won a corner in th 37th minute, Leo Smith's far post cross was headed safely into Scott Loach's gloves. Much to the impatience of the Racecourse crowd, this was proving to be a contest between two well organised teams.

With one added minute, the first half came to a goal-less close with Wrexham pressuring the Hartlepool defence, but still unable to create a meaningful opportunity.

Wrexham's Scott Boden v Hartlepool United

The second half kicked off in the ever present driving rain, with Hartlepool on the front foot. forcing Wrexham into their own half for a nervous four minutes. Wrexham finally won a corner in the 51st minute when Alex Reid forced his way down the left wing. 

A knock to the knee of captain Shaun Pearson saw the pressure released from Hartlepool United, as the game was brought to a stop. However Deverdicks' subsequent corner found the side netting of Preston's goal.  

The best chance of the game came on the hour mark when Hawkins hit the Wrexham bar from twenty yards out. Fortunately for Wrexham, the two Hartlepool corners that followed amounted to nothing. Back at the other end, Reid broke down the left and his sharp shot forced a fine save out of Loach, diving low to his right. 

Chris Holroyd, making his first appearance since the opening day against Macclesfield was proving an increasingly physical problem to the Hartlepool defence, but both sides struggled to carve out any chances for the next ten minutes.

In the 79th minute, Wedgbury burst through and his shot forced another Wrexham corner, but Shaun Pearson's ambitious overhead kick cleared the bar with ease.

With four minutes to go, the home crowds' hearts were in their mouths when a cross from the visitors skidded across the greasy surfce of Preston's goal, with mercifully nobody to meet it. Two minutes later, Shaun Pearson earned his second yellow card of the season to deny a break on the Wrexham goal.

The game plunged into four minutes of added time, and as the game went into the dying seconds, Rutherford's free kick floated safely into the arms of Loach. The referee called time, with Wrexham feeling disappointed to have dropped two points, despite keeping a fifth consecutive clean sheet.

Wrexham: Preston, Smith, Pearson (c), Wedgbury, Reid (Massanka, 80), Carrington, Rutherford, Roberts, Boden Macreth, 65), Wright, Smith (Holroyd, 45).
Subs: Marx, Tharme

Hartlepool United: Loach, Magnay, Watson, Ledger, Deverdics, Featherstone, Woods, Hawkins, Franks, Oates, Rodney (Donaldson, 73).
Subs: Laing, Newton, Donnelly, Munns

Referee: Joe Johnson
Attendance: 4144 
Away: 132

Bookings -
Wrexham: Wedgbury (64, foul), Pearson (88, foul)

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube