MATCH REPORT | Wrexham 0-1 AFC Fylde

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Tue 26 Nov 2019

A lacklustre Wrexham remained at the foot of the table, amidst a perfect away performance by AFC Fylde, as Danny Philliskirk’s goal was the difference in the affair.

Wrexham were comfortable and controlled the game for 30 minutes, but Philliskirk’s long ranged effort was enough to upset the balance in play.

From there on in, Wrexham had lost the fluidity in their game and failed to make any real chances against a strong Fylde defence.

Rob Lainton was on form to stop the game from petering out early, as he made two one-on-one saves to give Wrexham a platform to get an equaliser, which unfortunately never came.

The Reds returned to action after their eventful 3-3 draw with Yeovil Town, as Ben Tollitt and the injured Tyler Reid made way for James Jennings, who returned from illness and new signing Omari Patrick made his full debut, following an impressive appearance off the bench.

Akil Wright, Paul Rutherford and Bobby Grant all got on the score sheet in the last game, as they began this fixture. More of the same was needed, but with a tighter defensive display.

Wrexham began the game in the drop zone in 21st position, whilst AFC Fylde were in 19th. A win for the Red Dragons would see them move within a point of the visitors today.

After a slightly sluggish start, Wrexham started to drive at the Fylde defence with some effect, as captain Byrne and Whitmore looked shaky.

Patrick and Jennings had immediately established a left-wing relationship, inside ten minutes, with some attacking, forward football.

Mark Yeates was the first player to have a real effort at goal, as his low, darting effort was fired straight at Lainton in goal in the eighth minute.

Following a nasty challenge on Jennings by Dan Bradley in the tenth, Luke Young’s free-kick met the head of Shaun Pearson at the back post, but his header fell straight into the hands of Sam Hornby.

Wrexham were the dominant side in the first 15 minutes, but the difference in strength was clear, as the Coasters’ defence in numbers was keeping the Reds out for the time being.

The game experienced a lulled period in the next ten minutes, as both teams failed to amount anything substantial in attack. It was becoming scrappy in the corners, as play wasn’t allowed to flow.

Against the run of play, Fylde took the lead on the half hour mark through Philliskirk. He found some room on the edge of the untroubled Wrexham box and fired a low effort into the corner of the goal, which squeezed past Lainton.

The goal had lifted Fylde spirits and Wrexham had to survive the next phase of the game, keeping the score at 0-1. Bradley almost gave the Coasters a two goal lead though, but captain Pearson was on hand to throw his body on the line in the 33rd minute.

A Carrington cross in the 42nd finally dipped over a Fylde man head, but Rutherford was unable to gain any purchase on the header, as it looped into Hornby’s hands.

After an assured and measured start, the Philliskirk goal had completely untangled Wrexham’s play and the sides went into half-time with Fylde leading 1-0.

The fans were met with a bright start in the second half, as Rutherford tried to recreate his wonder goal against Yeovil, as he curled a long ranger once more. However this time, it curled straight into Hornby’s hands.

Wright was next to have a punt at goal in the 50th minute, and his deflected strike almost caught Hornby unawares, but the Fylde keeper remained focused and made the save easily.

A scramble in the Fylde box saw the ball fall out to Rutherford, whose half-volley seemed destined for the bottom corner, but the visitors put their bodies on the line to make the block in the 52nd.

Patrick had spurred back into life in the 53rd minute, as a few step overs were followed by a stinging shot, which bounced just wide of Hornby’s post.

Wrexham had finally put the ball into the net bang on the hour mark, but referee Karl Evans disallowed Wright’s looped headed goal, as Grant was deemed to have blocked the Coasters’ keeper.

Both sides made their first substitutions in the 64th minute, as Mark Harris came on for Wright, sparking a change in structure for the home side.

Carrington saw the space open up for him in the 69th minute and struck a fizzing shot, but the ball pinged back off a Fylde man.

Fylde countered off a Wrexham corner, as Ryan Croasdale went through on goal. Lainton made himself big and smothered the ball out in the 70th minute, keeping Wrexham in the game.

Tollitt came on for Rutherford in the 72nd minute, suddenly injecting some pace into the Wrexham eleven, with the likes of Patrick and Harris alongside him.

Wrexham were really struggling to create any sort of comeback, as the play was slow and sideways in front of a bank of yellow and black shirts.

As the Reds pushed for a winner, Fylde were through on the counter once more and Bradley had acres of time to put the game to bed, but instead launched his shot straight at the Wrexham keeper, who parried it out.

Full time came and AFC Fylde took away all three points, as Wrexham failed to amount any real chances.

Wrexham: (4-3-3): Lainton (GK), Jennings, Lawlor, Pearson ©, Carrington, Young, Summerfield (Redmond 81’), Wright (Harris 64’), Rutherford (Tollitt 72’), Grant, Patrick
Subs not used: Dibble (GK), Kennedy

AFC Fylde: (4-2-3-1): Hornby (GK), Duxbury (Jameson 80’), Byrne ©, Whitmore, Burke, Philliskirk, Croasdale, Bradley (Kosylo 87’), Williams, Yeates, Rowe (Montrose 64’)
Subs not used: Lavercombe (GK), Haughton

Referee: Karl Evans (Lancs)
Attendance: 2,941
Away: 44

Bookings -
Wrexham: None
AFC Fylde: Yeates 59’ (kicking ball away)

Man of the Match: Omari Patrick

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube