Macclesfield Town
Posted:Tue 23 Feb 2021

By Chay Long

The Dragons got a hard fought draw in a tough match against an in form Hartlepool. The Wrexham back three battled to keep Hartlepool at bay in a tough match with poor weather conditions.

Wrexham named one change to the side as Dan Jarvis stepped in for James Horsfield. Jay Harris also returned to the bench this evening.

The first chance of the game came to Hartlepool three minutes in. Gavan Holohan fed a ball to Luke Armstrong which nearly led to a one on one. However the linesman called a narrow offside.

The rainy weather made for a back and forth game. Hartlepool had the majority of the possession in the opening moments of the game. Making Wrexham’s defence work very hard to keep them at bay.

Ten minutes in, Holohan had the ball at the edge of the box and beautifully chipped the ball towards Armstrong, he struck the ball well which hit the post.

Dior Angus flicked the ball to Davies at the middle of Hartlpool’s half as he played a through ball to Thomas which was beautifully intercepted by Gary Liddle 14 minutes in.

Midway through the first half Hartlepool still dominating possession but Wrexham stayed organised and looked to catch them on the break.

A ball hit in by David Ferguson 25 yards on the left hand side of the box which Jamie Reckord intercepted. However he mishit the ball which landed to Holohan. He struck the ball on the half volley which flew over the bar.

Dibble played the ball Mark Carrington from a free kick. He lost the ball just into Wrexham’s half, Shelton won the ball and carries it to the edge of the box and forced a corner.

As the corner is taken Rhys Hall-Johnson goes down with an injury and James Horsfield replaced him 39 minutes into the game.

Hartlepool had a series of corners the first which was blocked well by Thomas, another was punched out by Dibble.  The third corner deflected off a Wrexham shirt and landed to Shelton who slips over then handballs it.

The referee indicated 4 minutes of added time, Hartlepool carried on with some relentless pressure forcing blocks from Carrington and Rekord.

Wrexham kicked off the second half shooting toward the WREXRENT stand as the rain and wind comes down heavily.

Wrexham started the second half fast as Luke Young played a great ball to Davies had a good shot well blocked  by Gary Liddle which went out for a corner  47 minutes in .

End to end play as Jarvis plays a ball to Rekord at the left hand side which is intercepted by Jamie Sterry who plays a great ball to Armstrong which has been put out for a corner by Tyler French.

Rekord, standing deep, left a through ball which Armstrong collected. The prolific striker is left one on one with Dibble who stood tall – he blasted the ball over the bar keeping the sides level.

57 minutes Durell comes on for Jarvis

A very lively and back and forth first ten minutes of the second half, as the rain and wind affects play for both sides.

62 minutes in Rhys Oates comes on for Joe Grey.

Yellow card for Tom white 67 minute

Ponticelli comes on at 69th in for Dior Angus

70th min Shelton wins the ball at the half way point running into the edge of the right hand side and is cleared out for a corner. The corner is floated in into the 6 yard box headed over the bar by Armstrong.

Crawford replaced White as Hartlepool brough fresh legs on.

Both teams seemed to slow down at the 72nd minute as the ball is played in the middle of the pitch. Both sides seem to be neutralising each other.

Ben Killip retrieved the ball at the edge of his box plays the ball well to Shelton who then plays the ball to Oats. Kelehher puts a challenge into Oats on the corner of the box millimetres outside the box. The ref calls for a free kick as the Hartlepool players screamed for a penalty.

78 minutes in the free kick is deflected out from the wall for a corner. The corner amounts to nothing and is cleared out by Carrington.

The last five minutes was a tense affair for Wrexham as Hartlepool had a corner which misses a melee of players in the six yard box as thankfully for Wrexham went out for a goal kick.

In the 87th minute the ball was picked up by Shelton at the D of Wrexham’s box. He played a good through ball to the left of the 6 yard box Oats then picks up the ball and slashes the ball across the goal to go out for a goal kick.

The fourth official added 3 additional minuets as Hartlepool win a corner. Which is sprayed into the 6 yard box. Dibble punches the ball which somehow lands in a scramble.  Dibble dives on top of the ball and Wrexham close out the game.

Wrexham: Dibble, Hall-Johnson (Horsfield), French, Kelleher, Carrington, Reckord, Jarvis (Durrell), Young, Davies, Thomas, Angus (Ponticelli). UNUSED SUBS: Rutherford, Harris.

Hartlepool : Kilp, Cass, Ferguson, Liddle, Shelton, Grey (Oates), Holohan, Johnson, White (Crawford), Sterry, ,Armstrong SUBS Odusina, Donaldson , Bloomfield.

Referee: Jacob Miles

Yellow cards:

Wrexham - Reckord

Hartlepool- White

Red cards:

Wrexham - 

Hartlepool – 

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube