MATCH REPORT | Wrexham 1-0 Solihull Moors

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Tue 21 Nov 2017

Wrexham moved to the top of the National League table with a narrow victory over struggling Solihull Moors at the Racecourse.

Paul Rutherford's first goal for the club at the Racecourse in the first-half was enough to seal a crucial win, despite some prolonged pressure after the break from the away side.

Solihull had opportunities to pull level and ensured that the Racecourse faithful endured a nervous final few minutes, but the Reds showed typical resilience and defensive steel to emerge as winners.

After a scrappy, disjointed start to the game, Wrexham began to assert their authority on the visitors and create opportunities. Alex Reid flicked a header just wide in the early stages as the Reds looked to establish some pressure, although Solihull themselves threatened with sporadic but dangerous counter-attacks.

Clear chances for both sides, however, were at a premium, despite an increasingly open and stretched feel to the game as the first-half progressed.

Wrexham were almost ahead on the half-hour mark when Akil Wright, rising highest from a corner, saw his header blocked off the line.

Minutes later, it was Shaun Pearson's turn to miss a header from close range having been picked out by Rutherford's corner.

Dean Keates' side continued to threaten as half-time approached, and five minutes before the break they took the lead, Rutherford looping a left-footed lob over the goalkeeper who had been left stranded following an attempted punch.

By half-time, Wrexham appeared fairly comfortable and - with the exception of the odd scare - in control of their lowly opposition.

A fast-paced and eventful beginning to the second-half almost culminated in a second goal for the Reds, Reid coming within inches of meeting a ball across goal from the lively Rutherford.

It seemed unlikely that the game would end with just one goal scored given Wrexham's almost incessant probing. Solihull too were a threat when going forward, and were agonisingly close to an equaliser with 65 minutes played when a ball was whipped across goal but evaded the outstretched legs of everyone.

Two minutes later, lifted by their previous chance, Kwame Thomas was on the end of a long ball but couldn't generate enough power to beat Chris Dunn.

The visitors' attacking play at times belied their lowly position, and there were nervous groans from the Racecourse crowd as they searched for an equaliser.

Wrexham were increasingly forced to retreat into their shape and look to maintain their narrow lead as full-time approached, but Marcus Kelly could have secured the points had he converted his finish after bursting into the box from the left-hand side.

Despite some significant pressure from Solihull in the latter stages, Wrexham had enough to hold on and emerge with another victory.

Wrexham: Dunn, Roberts, M Smith, Pearson, Carrington, Rutherford, Wright, Wedgbury, Kelly (Hurst 90+2) Holroyd, Reid (Massanka 76).
Subs: Dibble, Mackreth, Boden.

Solihull Moors: Townsend, Green, Bowen, Carter, Murombedzi (Hylton 59), Carline (Afolayan 74), Daly, Kelleher, Asante, Richards, Thomas (Kettle 86).
Subs: Bannister, Green.

Referee: Simeon Lucas (Lancs)
Attendance: 3,896
Away: 26

Bookings - 
Solihull Moors:
Bowen (70, foul)


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube