MATCH REPORT | Wrexham 1-1 Halifax

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 10 Feb 2018

Wrexham were disappointingly held to a draw by a dogged Halifax side at the Racecourse on Saturday.

Scott Boden's header gave the Reds a first-half lead after an impressive opening to the game, but they were pegged back moments before half-time when Scott McManus found the net.

There was no way through in the second-half, and a red card for Paul Rutherford late on added to the frustration.

Wrexham began in the ascendancy and continued to dominate throughout the first-half. It was clear that Halifax were intent on defending, and they offered little to threaten the Reds going forward for the majority of the opening 45 minutes.

They were questionable at the back, too. Wrexham penned in the visitors in the early stages and were nearly in front within four minutes when Chris Holroyd drove towards goal and fired a powerful shot towards Sam Johnson.

That was saved, but Johnson could do nothing about Boden's header with 19 minutes played. The striker was unmarked and met Kevin Roberts cross with an accurate header, which ended a flowing nove that started with keeper Chris Dunn and involved 10 passes.

Wrexham's Scott Boden celebrates his goal against Halifax

There was a response from the away side after going behind. Matty Kosylo, a tricky left winger, drilled a shot which required a save from Dunn, before another effort looped over the bar.

Wrexham appeared comfortable, though, and looked the most likely side to add to the scoring. But it was Halifax, on the stroke of half-time, who levelled the scores, Scott McManus turning in a flicked on corner at the back post.

Halifax looked, perhaps unsurprisingly, far more confident after the break. They were more stable defensively and offered far more of a threat as the half progressed.

Towering striker Tom Denton shuld have put Halifax ahead just before the hour mark, when he headed over from close range.

Wrexham then introduced Scott Quigley, who offered a presence in attack and was immediately in the thick of things. He found space on the left but delayed his shot and saw it blocked from a tight angle.

It was the visitors, however, who came closest and probably should have scored as the game entered its latter stages. Denton was the man picked out again, but he failed to bundle the ball over the line at the far post.

Wrexham looked to make the visitors pay for their profligacy, and began to put some pressure on with time slipping away. But any momentum was halted when, after a period of confusion, Rutherford was sent off for a second booking, having already been substituted in te meantime!

Neither side could find a winning goal, and Wrexham were left frustrated, while other results dropped Dean Keates' side to third in the National League standings.

Wrexham: Dunn, Jennings, Smith, Pearson, Wedgbury, Holroyd, Deverdics (Quigley 60), Rutherford, Kelly, Roberts, Boden (Franks 82).
Subs: Dibble, Raven, Mackreth.

FC Halifax Town: Johnson, Mayo, Brown, Garner, Kosylo, Denton, Oliver (Clarke 90), McManus, MacDonald (Tuton 73), Hibbs, Collins.
Subs: Nicholson, Hotte, Duckworth.

Referee: Daniel Middleton (Derbys)
Attendance: 4,998
Away: 248

Sending Off -
Rutherford (82, dissent, second sending off)

Bookings -
Rutherford (45, foul)
Halifax: Mayo (65, time wasting)

Photographs courtesy of Alun Roberts (AJAR Photographics)

Halifax keeper Sam Johnson punches clear

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube