MATCH REPORT | Wrexham 1-2 Aldershot Town

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 04 Jan 2020

Aldershot Town ended their dreadful away form by comfortably beating Wrexham 2-1 at the Racecourse in a bottom of the table clash.

A stunning strike from Ethan Chislett gave the Shots a second half lead, shortly before Mo Bettamer doubled their advantage with an unmarked header from a corner.

Aside from their late goal, Wrexham failed to create any meaningful chances in the game, as the visitors quite bluntly outplayed the Reds. However, JJ Hooper managed a consolation strike in added time, after a good low cross from Mark Harris.

The Racecourse also witnessed its worst miss in over 150 years of football at the ground, as Bettamer deflected a one yard tap-in from the middle of the goal wide, whilst being completely unmarked.

Wrexham made one change from the side that came away from Chorley with three points and a clean sheet, as Paul Rutherford dropped to the bench for Tyler Reid.

Devonte Redmond and Omari Patrick kept their places, after their goals secured the win at Victory Park on New Year’s Day.

The Reds began the game in 19th place and finally out of the relegation zone, due to picking up six points against Chorley over the holiday period. A win for the Dragons would see them leapfrog the visitors, as the Shots were sat in 18th position, two points to the good.

The opening ten minutes saw a slightly scrappy affair, but Wrexham seemed to be the more comfortable side on the ball.

It was evident that the players had a clear grasp of their roles under Dean Keates, as they looked settled in the 5-2-1-2 formation.

The first piece of drama came in the 13th minute, where a routine goal-kick from Rob Lainton held up in the pitch, almost allowing Patrick to be through on goal, but Mitch Walker was alert and came out of his box to slice the ball away.

Aldershot started to grow into the game, as they were finding gaps on the pitch to exploit and Wrexham were finding it hard to hold possession of the ball, but a clear shot at goal was still null and void.

Mark Carrington was caught napping in the 20th minute and Bettamer was slotted through the Wrexham backline. The angle was tight and Lainton did well to smother the powerful shot from the Aldershot striker.

Lainton was down for a few minutes following this shot, as it appeared his nose felt the full brunt of the shot, requiring a spare shirt for the Wrexham keeper.

Patrick was wrestled to the floor in the 25th minute, seeing Garreth Rhodes blow for a Wrexham free-kick 20 yards out. Captain James Jennings took the set-piece and it was caught easily by the diving Walker.

Luke Young followed up a minute later, with a knuckle-ball long ranger, but this wobbled straight into Walkers’ hands.

Bang on the half hour mark and Lainton was called upon again to make an outrageous point-blank save. A cross from Robbie Tinkler had looped over every Wrexham defender’s head and landed perfectly for Bettamer, but Lainton’s positioning was spot-on and he somehow parried the header out to keep the scores level at 0-0.

A reversed chipped ball by Jack Powell saw Craig Tanner completely through on the Wrexham goal, but he couldn’t sort his feet out and subsequently let the ball bobble to Lainton.

A poor Wrexham clearance saw Tanner find some room to run into and attempt a shot. However, his effort fizzled wide of Lainton’s right hand post in the 45+2nd minute.

The sides went into half-time with the scores level, but the visitors would have been ruing some missed opportunities, which should have seen them take the lead.

The second half started slow like the first, but this didn’t stop Patrick having a blistering run down the left wing to whip in a floating ball, which was attacked by Bobby Grant. The header unfortunately pinged well wide in the 52nd minute.

Powell was booked in the 54th minute for a nasty challenge on Grant, seeing the Wrexham midfielder go tumbling. Jennings was then booked a minute later for a similar challenge on Ethan Chislett.

The 61st minute saw the worst miss in over 150 years of football at the Racecourse. Great perseverance and strength by Tanner saw him run down the Wrexham by-line and smash a ball across to Bettamer who was one yard out. The Aldershot striker was stood in the middle of the goal and somehow sent the ball back towards Tanner and the corner flag in the 61st minute.

The woeful miss sent Wrexham fans laughing, but it was the visitors with the last laugh. Chislett fired one from distance and it nestled perfectly into the top corner to give Aldershot the lead in the 63rd minute.

Keats made the first substitution of the night, as Luke Summerfield came on in the 65th minute in hope for an equaliser.

Bettamer himself made amends for his dreadful miss, as he climbed highest in the pack to head home Powell’s corner in the 68th minute.

As Wrexham were throwing all men forward, Aldershot were finding it easier and easier to counter. Bettamer was played in on a two-on-one against Lainton, but his goal celebrations were cut short as he was flagged offside in the 73rd.

Kodi Lyons-Foster was booked in the 75th minute for a late challenge on Hooper, as tensions in the Racecourse grew.

Harrison Panayiotou tried to add his name to the goal scoring list, but he couldn’t steer his effort on goal, after being well played through by his teammate in the 84th minute.

Wrexham struggled to break through the solid Aldershot defence, as the team from Hampshire were appearing to easily shut out the game.

It was completely undeserved, but Hooper buried home a cross from close range by the substitute Harris in the 90+2nd minute.

The game finished 2-1 to Aldershot and Wrexham were outplayed in most departments throughout the 90 minutes.

Wrexham: (5-2-1-2): Lainton, Jennings ©, Lawlor, Kennedy, Carrington, Reid (Summerfield 65’), Redmond, Young, Patrick, Hooper, Grant (Harris 81’).
Subs not used: Dibble, Oswell, Rutherford.

Aldershot Town: (4-3-3): Walker, Tinkler, Kinsella, Rance ©, Lyons-Foster, Bettamer, Chislett, Panayiotou (Whittingham 87’), Hunt, Tanner, Powell (Rowe 78’).
Subs not used: Anderson, Santos, Shields.

Referee: Garreth Rhodes (Yorkshire)
Attendance: 4,222
Away: 163

Bookings -
Wrexham: Jennings 55’ (foul), Redmond 89’ (foul)
Aldershot: Powell 54’ (foul), Lyons-Foster 75’ (foul)

Man of the Match: Mark Carrington

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube