MATCH REPORT | Wrexham 1-2 Dagenham & Redbridge

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 14 Apr 2018

Wrexham's play-off hopes were left in further doubt as they fell to a disappointing defeat at home to Dagenham & Redbridge, despite putting a much improved performance.

The Reds led at half time courtesy of Paul Rutherford and appeared to be in control of the game.

But an equaliser early in second half from Fejiri Okenabirhie and then a David Raven own goal, gave the away side victory.

Wrexham began slowly and it was the visitors who looked the more dangerous of the two sides in the early stages. Chris Dunn was forced to parry a shot wide with just two minutes played as Dagenham looked to make a quick start.

Gradually, though, the Reds came into the game and began to control the tempo. Jack Mackreth, handed a rare start, was lively on the right and twice caused problems in the Dagenham box.

First, he picked out Quigley with an accurate cross after a direct run down the right. Then, after cutting inside onto his left foot, he saw a shot deflected wide.

And with 23 minutes played, it was Mackreth who provided the opening goal. He drove at Dagenham left back Jake Howells and picked out Rutherford, who finished emphatically.

Paul celebrates his goal

It was a deserved lead for Wrexham, who looked to push on having gone in front. Mackreth continued to threaten, while Scott Boden saw an effort kept out by Mark Cousins.

Dagenham, in response, improved defensively, but were unable to create any chances of note. Wrexham, meanwhile, almost doubled their lead on the stroke of half time when Quigley fired a shot just wide.

It seemed likely that Wrexham would continue to dominate after the break, particularly when a Quigley header appeared to have crossed the line moments after the restart. But Cousins was deemed to have kept the ball out and Wrexham were denied.

Almost immediately, Dagenham were level. Okenabirhie found space on the edge of the box and curled a shot in off the far post, with Dunn motionless. 

Wrexham responded well to the setback. They were quickly on the front foot and created a number of opportunities, the best of which came just before the hour mark when Quigley struck the post with a left-footed shot.

But a second goal proved frustratingly elusive. The woodwork again denied the Reds when a deflected Shaun Pearson header came off the bar. Then it was the turn of Cousins to keep Wrexham at bay as efforts from both James Jennings and Quigley were saved.

And, against the run of play, Dagenham took the lead with 75 minutes played. A header from substitute Cheek struck Raven and found its way into the far corner.

The Reds were visibly dejected having fallen behind and, for all their late efforts, couldn't find an equaliser.

Wrexham: Dunn, Raven, M Smithm, Pearson, Jennings, Rutherford (Ainge 80), Wedgbury, Kelly, Mackreth, Boden, Quigley.
Subs: Dibble, Carrington, Deverdics, Wright.

Dagenham & Redbridge: Cousins, Nunn, Robson, Adams, Pennell, Howells (Robinson 80), Boucaud (Cheek 70), Howell, Sparkes, Enigbokan-Bloomfield, Okenabirhie (Bonds 88).
Subs: Moore, N'Gala.

Referee: Joe Johnson (Liverpool)
Attendance: 4,193
Away: 73

Bookings -

James Jennings head at goal

Photographs courtesy of Jim Roberts

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube