Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sun 11 Mar 2018

Wrexham's promotion hunt was back on track after a deserved win against a spirited Chester side.

Second half goals from Scott Quigley and Nicky Deverdics secured the three points for the Dragons after a first half performance that was lacking in quality from either side.

Wrexham started off the game brightly, with Chris Holroyd having a shot blocked early on after a good Paul Rutherford cross.

Eight minutes in Quigley capitalised on a poor pass to have another chance on goal, but his shot was high and wide.

Appalause rang out around the Racecourse a minute later as the fans sounded their tributes to former Red, Kieron Durkan.

Manny Smith was forced off the pitch with injury after 12 minutes, to be replace by Mark Carrington.

Chester had a chance to open the scoring themselves 14 minutes in, after Jordan Archer's header.

After their chance Chester started to get into the game, though Chester's Tom Crawford recieved a yellow card  for a tackle on Sam Wedgbury that sent him flying.

Myles Anderson of Chester was the next to be booked, after a nasty challenge on Paul Rutherford.

For a long period of the first half neither team could say they were the better side, with the game mostly being played in the midfield. Wrexham were arguably playing better, but a lack of sharpness hindered their play.

Ten minutes from time Quigley missed the best chance of the game, as he missed a free header 12 yards out. Unmarked in the box he found Rutherford's cross, but his header was off target.

Quigley's chance was to be the only significant action of what turned out to be a dull first half as the half ended 0-0.

Scott Quigley celebrates his goal against Chester

It was Chester who had the first chance of the second half, after a long range effort was pushed aside by a leaping Chris Dunn.

Chester continued their bright start to the second half, after they won a freekick followed by a corner.

Wrexham very nearly went a goal down after a mistke from Dunn left the ball trickling towards the net. It was a stroke of good luck that the ball rolled just wide, but it was a narrow escape for the Reds.

Wedgbury got close just before the hour mark after a good lay off from Holroyd. He collected the ball on the edge of the area but his shot was tame and easily collected by the Chester keeper.

Quigley was the hero on the hour though after a wonderful strike from the edge of the area beat Andy Firth and finally put Wrexham in the lead.

Wrexham doubled their lead ten minuted later after Nicky Deverdics was gifted a free ball in the middle of the box. Despite calls for offside Deverdics excellently turned and put the ball past Firth

It was the much improved second half performance that saw Wrexham bag all three points, and move back up the table.

Wrexham: Dunn, Roberts, Smith (Carrington 11), Pearson, Raven, Rutherford (Ainge 86), Wedgbury, Kelly, Deverdics (Wright 79), Quigley, Holroyd.
Subs: Franks, Boden.

Chester: Firth, Halls, Astles, Hobson, Vose, Dawson, Waters (Mahon 80), Akintunde (Hannah 73), Crawford, Archer (White 73), Anderson.
Subs: Jones, Jasskelainen.

Referee: Neil Hair (Cambs)
Attendance: 6,511
Away: 702

Bookings -
Kelly (64, foul)
Chester: Crawford (19, foul), Anderson (23, foul)

Photographs courtesy of Lloyd Jones (LAJ Photography) -

Nicky Deverdics celebrates his goal against Chester

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube