MATCH REPORT | Wrexham 2-0 Maidenhead United

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 02 Dec 2017

Wrexham bounced back from last week's defeat at Aldershot and climbed to second in the National League table with a convincing victory over Maidenhead United at the Racecourse.

A goal in each half from Chris Holroyd and James Jennings was enough to see the Reds return to winning ways.

Maidenhead had chances and threatened when going forward, but Wrexham were helped by the dismissal of Ryan Upward in the second half and ultimately had too much for the away side.

It was the visitors that began on top, Adrian Clifton and Christian Smith - returning to the Racecourse - firing shots at goal from distance.

Maidenhead had started well but Wrexham soon began to grow into the game. By the 19th minute, the Reds were in front, Holroyd powering home his finish having been neatly played through by Paul Rutherford.

There were suspicions of offside, but it didn't deter Wrexham's top scorer, who emphatically planted his effort past goalkeeper Carl Pentney. 

Maidenhead were not entirely deflated by falling behind, and had chances of their own to level. A woefully under-hit Jennings back pass very nearly resulted in a goal, but Jake Hyde could only guide his finish wide of the far post.

At the other end, Scott Boden came close to scoring his first Wrexham goal after some intricate interplay, but was denied by Pentney. By half-time, though, Dean Keates' side were in front and on course for victory.

The away side were almost immediately level after the break when Harold Odamatey was picked out in space in the box but saw his shot blocked impressively by Jennings.

Any momentum in their game was quickly diminished, however, as Upward saw red for a dangerous high challenge on Sam Wedgbury with an hour played.

At first it seemed the extra man might be more of a hindrance than a help. Wrexham appeared panicked in defence and Maidstone began to increase the pressure.

Chris Dunn caused some nerves when he nearly fumbled what should have been a routine save into his own net, but Wrexham preserved their lead and then doubled it.

Jennings latched on to a loose ball after a free kick, and with 15 minutes remaining drilled a shot into the far corner.

The visitors attempted to find a way back into the contest, but they were unable to breach Wrexham's typically compact defence.

Wrexham: Dunn, Jennings, Smith, Pearson, Mackreth (Hurst 83), Wedgbury (Carrington 78), Holroyd (Massanka 85), Rutherford, Kelly, Roberts, Boden. 
Subs: Dibble, Wright.

Maidenhead United: Pentney, Clerima, Steer, Odametey, Massey, Hyde (Marks 70), Pritchard (Kilman 76), Clifton (Emmanuel 81), Upward, Peters, Smith.
Subs: Owusu, Hammond.

Referee: Marc Edwards (Tyneside)
Attendance: 3,968
Away: 48

Sending Off -
Upward (violent conduct, 60)

Booking -
Jennings (foul, 90)

Photographs courtesy of Alun Roberts (AJAR Photographics)

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube