MATCH REPORT | Wrexham 2-1 Eastleigh

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 07 Oct 2017

Wrexham came from behind to score two quick goals late in the second half and see off Eastleigh at the Racecourse, climbing to fifth in the National League table.

Ben Williamson had given the visitors the lead just before half-time and it looked increasinly like the Reds would be left disappointed.

But goals from Shaun Pearson and Chris Holroyd in the 73rd and 78th minute gave Dean Keates' side the three points.

Eastleigh were nearly ahead within just four minutes when Ben Williamson was played in and struck a powerful near-post shot which required a reflex save from Luke Coddington.

The visitors, on the back of a 1-0 defeat against Boreham Wood, started brightly and looked the more dangerous of the two sides. But Wrexham came close with their first opening of the game after 14 minutes, Marcus Kelly hitting the post with a placed effort from the edge of the box.

That opportunity lifted the home side, who began to assert some authority on the game. There were appeals for a penalty just before the half-hour mark when Carrington fell to the ground, but the midfielder instead saw himself booked for what the referee deemed to be a dive.

Aside from an eventful opening, there had been typically few clear chances, and another close, tight encounter seemed the most likely outcome.

But on the stroke of half-time, Eastleigh took the lead, Williamson meeting a low, driven cross into the box to convert and put Wrexham firmly on the back foot.

Eastleigh's Ross Flitney catches the ball

The Reds needed to find more creativity and cutting edge after the break; Eastleigh had not been overly troubled since Kelly was denied by the woodwork early in the first half.

After a touching 55th minute tribute to Jacko, Wrexham looked to push forward. Scott Boden was presented with time and space in the box having been picked out by Sam Wedgbury, but saw his shot blocked.

And moments later Holroyd was inches away from an equaliser after a dangerous ball across by substitute Jack Mackreth.

Eastleigh were content to sit ten men behind the ball and ask questions of Wrexham's attack as the half progressed, and they were looking increasingly comfortatble as the Racecourse crowd grew more and more frustrated.

But in the 73rd minute, Pearson rose highest from a corner to power in a header and level the scores. The momentum was strongly with the Reds after the equaliser, and five minutes later they were in front. Mackreth's cross was met by Holroyd, whose deflected shot beat a helpless Ross Flitney and completed a miraculous turnaroud.

The away side looked to salvage a point, having looked on course for three, but it was Wrexham that ended the game on top and secured a welcome three points.

Wrexham: Coddington, Roberts, Smith, Pearson, Jennings, Rutherford, Wedgbury, Carrington (Mackreth 56), Kelly, Holdroyd (Hurst 90), Boden (Reid 64).
Subs: Dunn, Massanka.

Eastleigh: Flitney, Hoyte, Wood, Yates, Strevens (Stearn 80), McAllister (Miley 64), Hollands, Boyce, Williamson, Howe, McSheffrey (Zebroski 71). 
Subs: Constable, Obileye.

Referee: Alan Young
Attendance: 3,907
Away: 46

Bookings - 
Carrington (28, diving), Rutherford (90+2, foul)
Eastleigh: Strevens (18, foul), Hollands (41, foul)


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube