MATCH REPORT | Wrexham 2-1 Solihull Moors

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 01 May 2021

Wrexham's playoff hopes continue as Dean Keates' side made it four games unbeaten and ran out winners against Solihull Moors.

Two Luke Young penalties within five minutes of eachother in the first half proved to be the difference as an outstanding first half performence banked the Dragons maximum points.

Keates made two changes to the starting XI with Cameron Green making his Wrexham debut replacing the injured Jamie Reckord, and Jay Harris replaced Paul Rutherford.

Things began well for Wrexham, winning a corner in the first minute and began with real intent. Wrexham's first shot on goal came from Jordan Davies, who's weak effort was comforably saved.

On 12 minutes, Gold Omotayo flicked a header on for Dior Angus who drove an effort straight at the keeper, with Omotayo unable to make anything of the follow up.

It came moments after Reece-Hall Johnson's cross was just above the head of Shaun Pearson, and Davies couldn't steer it in at the back post.

After 22 minutes, Solihull had their first effort at goal, saved well by Rob Lainton before Angus got forward for Wrexham, rounded the keeper but couldn't find the target.

The opening goal came on 27 minutes, as Hall-Johnson was fouled in the box after a good run, and Young stepped up to calmly dispatch, sending the keeper the wrong way.

Just minutes later Angus was fouled inside the area, and Young was up to the spot once more. He smashed an effort low to the keepers left, and even with his body in the way couldn't deny the midfielder a second.

Half-Time: Wrexham 2-0 Solihull Moors

Solihull improved in the second half, putting Wrexham under pressure in the second half, with both sides having a good go throughout.

Shaun Pearson was booked on 68 minutes for a clumsy foul and a free-kick in a dangerous area clipped the wall and went out for a corner. Wrexham stood firm clearing the initial cross and a second set-piece caused no trouble.

A loose ball in the Dragons box on 75 minutes was latched on to and Lainton had to pull off a smart save, with nobody following in for the rebound.

A third penalty was awarded with ten minutes to go, as handball by Jordan Davies saw Adam Rooney given the chance from the penalty spot. He calmly sent Lainton the wrong way to half the defecit in the late stages.

As the board for stoppage time was raised the visitors put Wrexham under immense pressure, with a corner finding the head of Rooney who directed it towards goal, but a sensational stop halted the Moors effort.

Wrexham held on for a big three points to open the bank holiday weekend.

Wrexham: Lainton (GK), Hall-Johnson, Kelleher, Pearson, Vassell, Green, Young, Davies, Harris (Rutherford (90+6'), Angus (Ponticelli 69'), Omotayo.
Subs: Dibble, French, Jarvis.

Solihull Moors: Boot (GK), Cranston, Storer, Gleeson (Hudlin 55'), Rooney, Coxe (Sbarra 80'), Ball (Maycock 55'), Donawa, Cameron, Addai, Thompson.
Subs: Piggott, Hancox.

Referee: Jacob Miles

Bookings -
Pearson (66', foul)
Solihull Moors: Cameron (32', foul), Hudlin (60', foul)


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube