MATCH REPORT | Wrexham 2-2 Aldershot Town

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 24 Feb 2018

Wrexham were held to another draw at the Racecourse in Saturday's top of the table clash against Aldershot.

A brace from Scott Quigley saw the Reds twice lead, but they were pegged back by goals from Shamir Fenelon and Callum Reynolds.

The stalemate left Wrexham in sixth in the National League standings, level on points with their opposition.

It was Aldershot that began the game on top and they continued to dominate throughout the first-half. After a spell of early pressure and a number of corners, Scott Rendell twice came close inside 20 minutes. First he saw a shot saved at his feet by Chris Dunn, before a goal-bound effort was blocked by Kevin Roberts.

Shortly after, a header was cleared off the line of the Wrexham goal with the hosts seemingly on the ropes. They were under constant pressure, but it was the Reds that took the lead with 22 minutes played. Aldershot goalkeeper Jake Cole failed to deal with a corner, allowing Quigley to nudge in from a yard out.

Scott Quigley scores our first v Aldershot

That was against the run of play, though, and the visitors continued to create good chances having fallen behind. Fenelon guided a volley wide of the post with time and space in the box and it seemed Wrexham might hold out until the break.

But the deserved equaliser game on 43 minutes, Fenelon making amends for his earlier miss to head home from close range.

Aldershot picked up where they left off after the break, creating two quick chances to go in front. Fenelon was played through on the right-hand side but saw his shot blocked by James Jennings, before Josh McQuoid hit a right-footed shot inches wide of the near post.

But again it was Wrexham that went in front, Quigley adding another to his tally just before the hour mark. He was picked out with space to run into, and placed his left-footed finish clinically past Cole.

The away side still posed a constant threat, however, and Dunn was forced into a save when Fenelon met a cross at the back post.

Aldershot were level with 75 minutes played, though, Reynolds flicking on an inswinging corner with Dunn left helpless. It came with the game growing increasingly stretched and open, and there were chances for both sides in the latter stages.

Wrexham had significantly improved as the game progressed and they were nearly in front when Roberts' deflected header forced Cole into a save on his line. The Reds looked the more likely in the latter stages, and Quigely squandered a huge chance to complete his hat-trick with minutes remaining. The ball fell to the forward in the box but he dragged his shot wide.

There was still time for a late scare, Rendell forcing Dunn into a save, but the sides ended a frantic second-half on level terms.

Wrexham: Dunn, Jennings, Smith, Pearson, Wedgbury, Quigley, Holroyd (Ainge 87'), Deverdics, Franks, Kelly, Roberts.
Subs: Raven, Mackreth, Rutherford, Wright.

Aldershot: Cole, Evans, Fenelon, Oyeleke (Robert 73'), Rendell, McQuoid (McClure 87'), Gallagher (Taylor 67'), Rowe, McDonnell, Kinsella, Reynolds.
Subs: None (Lewis Ward and Jim Kellerman injured during the warm up, so Aldershot only played with three subs).

Referee: Thomas Bramall (South Yorkshire)
Attendance: 4,662
Away: 249

Bookings - 
Jennings (65, handball), Holroyd (66, dissent) 
Aldershot: Gallagher (56, foul), McDonnell (65, foul), Evans (74, foul)

Scott Quigley fires an effort at goal

Photographs by Alun Roberts (AJAR Photographics)


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube