MATCH REPORT | Wrexham 2-2 Maidenhead United

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Tue 03 Sep 2019

Luke Young proved to be Wrexham’s villain and hero, as the Reds came back to draw 2-2 at the Racecourse.

Young gave Maidenhead the lead after drilling the ball into his own net. However, he came back with an assist and a goal to give Wrexham a short lead.

Josh Smile brought the scores level again with a stunning screamer, as Wrexham failed to clear properly off a corner.

The Dragons displayed a lack-luster first half, but were able to come out fighting in the second, to gain a point against the Magpies.

James Jennings, Akil Wright and Ben Tollitt all returned to the starting line up, as Jazzi Barnum-Bobb, Devonte Redmond and Mark Harris missed out on the first eleven.

Wright operated in Redmond’s attacking midfield position, to help link the midfield and forwards together.

Wrexham started the match in 16th place and seven points behind Maidenhead who were looking good for their position in fourth.

The Reds looked to take control in the first five minutes, as Young’s corner was headed just over by Wright.

The first ten minutes of the match proved to be relatively quiet, as both sides struggled to link their midfield and forwards.

After 15 minutes of agonising football, Tollitt treated the home fans with a driving, powerful run down the wing, fizzing in a dangerous ball, but Bobby Grant lagged behind the cross.

Wrexham struggled to keep a hold of the ball, as the Magpies were starting to settle down in the game.

A lofted ball over the top for Maidenhead landed plump on the feet of James Akintunde, whose subsequent cross found Young in the box, who found himself in a tangle and drilled the ball into his own goal with 22 minutes on the clock.

Luke Summerfield took a booking for a mistimed challenge on James Comley in the 26th minute, as the Reds grew eager to find an equaliser.

Moans and groans filled the ground in the next ten minutes, as the home fans grew frustrated with the referee.

Maidenhead attacked again in the 34th, as Shamir Fenelon delivered a superb cross to Smile in the middle, forcing our captain to make a goal-saving block.

After 40 minutes of lack-luster football, Young produced a gem of a ball, allowing Jason Oswell to glance a header into the back of the net. The goal was thoroughly undeserved, but the Reds found themselves level.

The Red Dragons were starting to assert some pressure with five minutes left in the half, causing Maidenhead’s Smile to kick the ball away after committing a foul to subsequently be booked.

Young looked to make amends for his own goal through free-kicks. His latest set piece almost swerved into the top corner of the goal from an angle of 40 yards in added time.

Wrexham went into the changing rooms at half time counting themselves to be lucky, after equalising at the end of the half.

A poor corner in the 47th saw Luke Summerfield hoof the ball back into the box. Oswell brought the ball down, turned and struck the ball over.

The next ten minute period was quiet once more, with Josh Kelly providing the only real shot, which was easily saved by Christian Dibble.

A central free kick was lifted in by Dibble in the 59th and a stretching Wright was unable to force the ball home from close range, after a header across the box from Shaun Pearson.

Two minutes later and Wright somehow missed from close range again. His bicycle teased the home fans, but the ball dipped over the bar.

The pressure proved too much for the Magpies and Wrexham took the lead through Young in the 62nd minute. A perfectly executed through ball by Tollitt split the defence for a running Young who tucked the ball home from an angle. It’s safe to say that Young had made up for his previous own goal.

After failing to clear the ball from a corner, Smile clattered the ball on the edge of the box into the top corner. An unsaveable equaliser for the away team 67 minutes in.

An unexpected back heel through ball by Tollitt set Wright through on goal in the 72nd minute. The initial effort was saved and the follow up was blazed recklessly against the crossbar for a goal kick.

Wrexham enhanced the pressure towards the end of the match, whilst the Magpies looked to counter.

In the last second of the game, Wrexham had one more chance through a free kick. Bobby Grant had the chance to win the game for the Reds, but his efforts clipped the post and the referee whistled for full time.

The game was set up for a thrilling finish, but both sides failed to offer up some magic to find all three points.

Wrexham AFC: (4-2-3-1): Dibble (GK), Jennings, Pearson ©, Chambers, Carrington, Summerfield (McIntosh 88’), Young, Wright (Redmond 82’), Grant, Oswell, Tollitt (Rutherford 72’)
Subs not used: Szczepaniak (GK), Barton,

Maidenhead United: (4-2-3-1): Ashby-Hammond (GK), Steer, Ellul (Davies 82’), Fenelon (Whitehall 70’), Comley, Cassidy, Nana-Twumasi, Akintunde (Mensah 64’), Upward, Massey ©, Smile
Subs not used: Sheckleford, Kelly

Referee: Rebecca Welch
Attendance: 3667
Away: 44
Wrexham Bookings: Summerfield 26’ (Foul), Grant 81’ (Foul)
Maidenhead United Bookings: Smile 45’ (Ungentlemanly conduct), Comley 59’ (Dissent)

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube