MATCH REPORT | Wrexham 3-0 Woking

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 18 Jan 2020

Smiles returned at the Racecourse, as Wrexham coasted past Woking by three goals to nil during an eventful afternoon of football.

Wrexham went into half-time a goal to the good, after Luke Summerfield provided the home fans with an absolute belter of a strike.

Debutant Jarvis was next to put his name on the goal scoring list, as his brilliant run allowed him to score a Rutherford rebound at a tight angle.

Jamar Loza was sent rolling back to the tunnel, after his dive saw him gain a second yellow card from Andrew Miller, whilst Summerfield converted a penalty shortly after to further the scoreline to 3-0.

Jarvis and Davis Keillor-Dunn both received international clearance for the game, after they had arrived on permanent deals from Stoke City and Ross County. Jarvis made the starting eleven, whilst Keillor-Dunn featured on the bench.

These weren’t the only changes to the Wrexham line-up, as Shaun Pearson returned from injury, whilst Summerfield and Paul Rutherford made their way into the starting eleven, after being on the bench in the 2-1 loss to Aldershot.

Akil Wright remained injured, as Bobby Grant and Devonte Redmond didn’t feature in the match day squad either.

Wrexham began this game in 20th position, whilst Woking were fighting for play-off positions, sitting 12 points above the Reds in 9th.

The first ten minutes saw the usual positive start by Wrexham, with some high pressing football on display. However, nothing like a chance was created by either side.

A stoppage in play was called in the tenth minute by Andrew Miller, as a Woking player seemed to rake his studs down the back of James Jennings’ leg. No foul was called and the Wrexham man came back on the pitch, shortly after the nasty challenge.

The 14th minute saw some brilliant link up play between debutant Jarvis and Jennings. The new Wrexham midfielder attempted a curled shots to screams of handball, but the referee seemed to be unsighted.

Thankfully play continued, allowing Summerfield to open the scoring for Wrexham with the definition of a screamer. The Wrexham midfielder was unpressured and decided to run at the Woking box and fire an effort across goal and into the corner in the 15th minute.

Godfrey Poku was booked for the Cardinals in the 17th minute and Mark Carrington a minute later, for some rather needless and cynical challenges.

JJ Hooper was next to find some room in the away box and he was able to fire away a shot, whilst being closely marked. Craig Ross was able to get down low and push the ball out for a corner, which seemed destined for the bottom corner in the 19th minute.

Play in the next period was dwindled by fouls and stoppages, as referee Miller dished out some stern talking-tos.

Three minutes after the half hour mark and Wrexham finally created another chance. Summerfield countered and was able to drive at the Woking backline. He laid it off to Jarvis whose quick feet enabled Hooper to be sent through on his left foot. His low shot was saved smartly off the outreached leg of Ross.

The resulting corner saw Jennings hold up the ball in the six yard box. He swivelled and turned to get his shot off, but Jamar Loza literally nodded the ball down off the line and the danger was cleared.

It was safe to say that the Wrexham fans weren’t appreciative of some of the decisions by the referee. The niggly fouls given didn’t help the game to flow with ease.

The 43rd minute saw some verbals and tussling, which resulted in Jake Hyde and Loza being booked by the referee.

Rob Lainton had had a seemingly uneventful afternoon, until the 45+2nd minute, as Dave Tarpey’s free kick was steered towards goal by Hyde, forcing Lainton to fling out an arm to push the ball wide of the bottom corner.

The first half ended with Wrexham a goal to the good, after a fairly even game of football.

The Racecourse debutant Jarvis started his life in North Wales with a goal to make it 2-0 Wrexham. Jarvis was released by Summerfield into the Woking half to counter attack and his run managed to create masses of room for Rutherford. His shot was saved by Ross into the direction of Hooper, who fumbled at the ball. However, Jarvis had continued his run and squeezed the ball in at a tight angle in the 48th.

In hope of forcing a comeback, Woking brought two debutants on in the form of Alex Wall and Josh Neufville for Tarpey and Shaun Donnellan.

A loose Jennings clearance gave Loza some room on his right foot inside the box, but he only managed to bend the ball straight into Lainton’s hands in the 59th minute.

Hooper was set through on the hour mark, after a Moussa Diarra slip and the Dragons’ striker attempted to take it around Ross at a narrow angle, but the Cardinals’ keeper was equal to this and pawed the ball away.

Jarvis made way in the 63rd minute for his fellow, new teammate Keillor-Dunn to an astounding round of applause.

The Wrexham fans were heard and Loza was sent off for his second bookable offence, after a blatant and obvious dive sent him log rolling back to the tunnel in the 69th minute.

Quick thinking from Hooper on a free kick set through Keillor-Dunn. He swivelled and dribbled, but the Woking man did well to stay balanced and force a block in the 72nd minute.

The Reds’ pressure was now constant and Ben Gerring had to be on hand to force Rutherford’s shot off the line with 76 minutes on the clock.

Andrew Miller was now pleasing Wrexham hearts, as he gave the Dragons a penalty in the 79th minute for a handball by Jack Cook off a Luke Young effort.

Summerfield somewhat surprisingly stood up to take the penalty, but he calmly buried it home for his second of the afternoon.

Keillor-Dunne was craving his first goal for the Reds and he found some room on the edge of the box for a shot. Unlike Summerfield, he could only bend his shot straight into Ross’ hands in the 85th minute.

Summerfield wanted his hat-trick and he was going to get it, bar a block in the Woking wall, which sent the ball just wide of the post next to a stranded Cardinals keeper.

A minute later in the 90th minute, substitute Tyler Reid was set through and his shot blazed just past the top corner of the Woking net.

The ten men of Surrey were really struggling to cope with the ferocity and consistency of the Wrexham pressure.

Full time was called and Wrexham had emerged easy winners in their 3-0 victory over Woking.

Wrexham: (5-2-2-1): Lainton (GK), Jennings, Pearson ©, Lawlor, Kennedy, Carrington (Reid 88’), Summerfield, Young, Jarvis (Keillor-Dunn 63’), Rutherford, Hooper (Oswell 90+1’).
Subs not used: Dibble (GK), Patrick.

Woking: (4-3-3): Ross (GK), Cook, Casey ©, Gerring, Diarra, Tarpey (Wall 56’), Ferdinand, Hyde, Poku, Donnellan (Neufville 56’), Loza.
Subs not used: Howes (GK), Parry, Collier.

Referee: Andrew Miller (Co Durham)
Attendance: 3,671
Away: 83

Bookings -
Wrexham: Carrington 17’ (Foul)
Woking: Poku 16’ (Foul), Loza 43’ (Dissent)

Sending Off -
Woking: Loza 69’ (Second bookable offence - for diving)

Man of the Match: Luke Summerfield

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube