MATCH REPORT | Wrexham 3-1 Chorley

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Thu 26 Dec 2019

Wrexham breezed past relegation rivals Chorley on Boxing Day, after two early goals from the returning JJ Hooper and a late chipped goal by Omari Patrick.

Devonte Redmond provided two audacious assists in the sixth and 11th minute, as Hooper calmly finished both home to give the Reds an early lead.

Omari Patrick came on to score a chipped goal from 20 yards to put the game beyond doubt at 3-0, after a mistake from Courtney Meppen-Walters.

The hectic end to the game didn’t stop there, as former Wrexham man Ntumba Massanka fired home from close range, to bring some sort of Christmas present home to Lancashire.

Wrexham made three changes from the side that lost 3-1 away at Sutton United. Luke Summerfield, Tyler Reid and Hooper all came in for Mark Carrington, Paul Rutherford and Omari Patrick, as Dean Keates looks to keep his squad fresh in the busy Christmas period.

Hooper returned to the side after a tail of injuries interrupted his good showings of form at the start of the season.

The Boxing day fixture would be the first of a holiday six pointer, as Wrexham and Chorley looked to battle it out amidst the relegation zone at the Racecourse Ground, before heading to Victory Park on New Year's Day.

Some neat play between Reid and Redmond in the third minute, gave Redmond room to play a cross field pass to James Jennings. The Wrexham full-back delivered an excellent cross, but Hooper was pinned and wasn’t able to generate any purchase on the header.

The early, promising signs from Redmond had resulted in an incredible assist for the Wrexham opener. His bending through ball found the running Hooper, who poked home past Matt Urwin in goal just six minutes in.

The new-found link between Redmond and Hooper had struck again. Redmond delivered a chipped, bending through ball this time, to better his first, which was chested down past the defender by Hooper. He then slotted his finish into the corner of the goal with 11 minutes on the clock.

Chorley tried to amount their own attack, after the early Wrexham masterclass. Alex Newby was twisting and turning in the Wrexham box, but his dinked cross couldn’t be converted by Josh O’Keefe in the 16th minute, as his header trailed wide.

Chorley were starting to dictate possession, but were unable to break through the Wrexham final third.

Marcus Carver was squeezed to the floor by Reid, resulting in a free-kick for the Magpies. Newby’s effort was tipped over the bar by Rob Lainton, as it swerved in the air, with 24 minutes gone.

The following corner allowed for the away side to show off their training ground set piece, which resulted in Newby stinging the side netting of the Wrexham goal and the hearts of the Chorley fans.

Apart from the two moments of magic, Wrexham had been quite lethargic in possession and had failed to create any sort of chance.

Hooper proved too strong for the unit that was Meppen-Walters, as he turned the Chorley captain on the by-line and sprinted towards the Chorley goal. At the last second, he struck the ball into the danger area onto on-rushing red and illuminous green shirts, seeing the ball dribble just past the post off Lewis Baines in the 35th.

Referee Tom Reeves awarded a penalty in the 39th minute as Summerfield brought down the former Wrexham man Chris Holroyd. The striker stepped up in front of the boisterous ‘Red Wall’ and hit his penalty straight at Lainton and the follow up was smashed away.

Wrexham had to remain focused, as Meppen-Walters met the ball first off the corner, seeing his header sting the hands of Lainton in goal.

The Reds responded in the perfect way, as Bobby Grant’s effort was saved by the diving Urwin in goal in the 41st minute. Hooper then almost bagged his hat-trick a minute later, but Urwin was down quickly to stop the ball sneaking underneath him.

Wrexham entered half-time two goals to the good, after brilliance from Redmond and Hooper.

A vicious back pass from Baines and a slip from Urwin saw Hooper pick the ball up beside the Chorley goal. He laid off Luke Young, whose shot was parried wide by the scrambling Urwin, but it fell straight to Redmond. The Wrexham man on two assists lunged at the ball and somehow sliced it well over in the 49th.

Martin Smith created the first Chorley chance of the half, after some constant Wrexham pressure, but his effort in the 58th minute was fired well into the Kop.

The Magpies made the first two substitutions of the game, as O’Keefe was replaced by Elliot Newby due to what seemed an injury, whilst Baines was taken off a few minutes later for Nortei Nortey in the 61st.

Reid had bombed down the right-hand side to deliver a wicked ball into the Chorley six-yard box, but Grant couldn’t push the ball over the line, as he collided with the Chorley keeper in the 62nd minute.

Hooper was running at Meppen-Walters once more in the 65th minute. The Wrexham striker cut in inside the box and fired away for his hat-trick, but the shot was well-blocked as it was heading for the corner of the goal.

Keates made his first substitution of the game in the 67th minute, as Redmond exited the field for Paul Rutherford. The midfielder was still trying to find full fitness, but his two excellent assists were most welcomed at the Racecourse Ground.

The Wrexham pressure was dominant, as Chorley struggled immensely to get out of their half. The new added threat of Patrick would not help the away side, as he came on for the booked Hooper in the 75th minute.

Holroyd found some space to run into, as the Wrexham backline retreated into their box. The Chorley striker lashed away a shot, which deflected and bobbled narrowly wide of the post in the 80th minute.

Grant desperately wanted a goal and in the 82nd minute, he pinged one from the edge of the box on his right foot and it stung Urwin’s hands, deflecting onto the bar. The ball ballooned up and the Chorley keeper had to be up straight away to push the ball over the bar.

Massanka came onto the pitch in the 84th minute to a warm welcome from his old Wrexham fans, as Carver left the pitch.

Meppen-Walters’ poor day at the office continued, as his mistake put Patrick through on goal. The keeper came rushing out into no man’s land and Patrick chipped the ball from 20 yards into the empty net in the 84th minute.

Massanka swivelled and turned in the Wrexham box in the 86th minute, to grab a goal for the Lancashire side. His ten yard shot was unsaveable and denied the Dragons a clean sheet.

Patrick had picked the pocket of the Chorley defender once more and was able to get a shot off inside the box, but Urwin smothered the ball with two minutes left of normal time.

Matt Challoner was booked in the 90th minute for holding back Patrick on the halfway line, who was seemingly through on goal.

Patrick really wanted a second goal, as his close link-up play with Rutherford inside the box, allowed him to ping a shot, but Urwin got down quickly to save well in the 90+2nd minute.

The Boxing Day prowess continued for Wrexham, as the Reds won 3-1 against relegation rivals Chorley to a loud cheer from the home fans.

Wrexham:(5-3-2): Lainton (GK), Jennings, Lawlor, Pearson ©, Kennedy, Reid, Summerfield, Young, Redmond (Rutherford 67’), Grant, Hooper (Patrick 75’)
Subs not used: Dibble (GK), Carrington, Harris

Chorley:(4-3-2-1): Urwin (GK), Challoner, Blakeman, Meppen-Walters ©, Newby, O’Keefe (Newby 59’), Carver (Massanka 84’), Ross, Smith, Baines (Nortey 61’), Holroyd
Subs not used: Teague, Dodds

Referee: Tom Reeves
Attendance: 4,784
Away: 224

Bookings -
Wrexham: Summerfield (60' dissent), Pearson (86' foul), Hooper (74’ blocking a goal kick)
Chorley: Challoner (60' foul)

Man of the Match: Luke Young

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube