MATCH REPORT | Wrexham 4-0 Torquay United

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 06 Jan 2018

A hat-trick from Chris Holroyd, our first in four years, helped Wrexham return to winning ways with an emphatic victory over Torquay at the Racecourse.

Manny Smith headed home from a corner between two first-half goals for the Reds' top scorer, and Holroyd finished off the scoring with a last-minute penalty.

The win saw Wrexham climb to fourth in the National League table, above Dover Athletic.

Despite their lowly position, it was the visitors that began in the ascendancy, twice testing the reflexes of Chris Dunn in the early stages.

But Wrexham were in front inside ten minutes when Holroyd met Marcus Kelly's in-swinging corner and planted a powerful header past Vincent Dorel.

The goal was met by a guttural roar from the contingent of 1.FC Magdeburg fans, who were raucous and enthusiastic throughout.

There was a discernible lack of confidence in Torquay's defensive play, and the Reds looked increasingly threatening as the first-half progressed.

Paul Rutherford fired a shot over having cut inside following a mazy run, before Holroyd headed over from another dangerous set-piece.

The lead was doubled, however, on the half-hour mark, from another corner. Scott Boden flicked the ball on at the near post towards an unmarked Smith, and the centre-back duly nodded home.

Wrexham's Manny Smith scores against Torquay United

Torquay were not entirely dejected having fallen two goals down; Dunn was again forced into a low save to deny the away side a route back into the game.

Minutes later, though, the game was truly beyond them, as Holroyd swept a low shot into the corner after a Rutherford run for his second of the game.

Half-time came with Torquay seeking only to limit their damage, and with Wrexham in complete control.

There was a noticeable improvement from Torquay after the break, and they saw claims for a penalty turned down after the ball appeared to strike the arm of subsitute Mark Carrington in the box.

Wrexham were content to maintain their three-goal lead and keep the visitors at bay for the majority of the second-half; it was a 45 minutes of significantly fewer chances and a comfortable win for the Reds grew increasingly inevitable.

It could have been four with 74 minutes played, but George Miller, ghosting in behind two defenders after a mis-hit Boden volley, failed to convert his header.

Torquay's Axel Andresson handles the ball v Wrexham

A fourth goal did eventual arrive with a minute to play, and it came from the spot after an inexplicable handball in the box. Holroyd stepped up to convert for his hat-trick, and sealed a welcome victory for Wrexham.

Wrexham: Dunn, Roberts (Carrington 46), Smith, Pearson, Jennings (Hurst 87), Rutherford (Mackreth 82), Wedgbury, Miller, Boden, Holroyd.
Subs: Dibble, Wright.

Torquay United: Dorel, O'Sullivan, Efete, Lathrope (Gosling 78), Young, Fletcher (Keating 61), Dowling, Reid, McGinty, Andresson, Davis.
Subs: Clarke, Pittman, Myrie-Williams.

Referee: Karl Evans (Manchester)
Attendance: 4,242
Away: 67
1.FC Magdeburg: 202

Bookings -
Jennings (54, foul)

Photographs by Alun Roberts (AJAR Photographics)


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube