MATCH REPORT | Wrexham AFC 2-3 Forest Green Rovers

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 28 Jul 2018

Wrexham fell to a 3-2 defeat in their first pre season game at the Racecourse for 3 years against League Two Forest Green Rovers.

First Half

Both Wrexham and Forest Green started the game very quickly with free flowing attacks and quick passing moves in blustry conditions at the Racecourse. 

Chris Holroyd had the first chance of note, with an attempted bicycle kick in the same vein as Gareth Bale however his connection was not solid and the ball was only tipped out for a throw in.

As the game progressed both teams demonstrated their defensive capabilities with the compact midfields cutting out potential attacks.

Holroyd had a chance on the half hour mark as he burst through the midfield and unleashed a shot however this hit new signing Freddie Hinds on the back and the chance disspareaed.

Forest Green broke the deadlock with 5 minutes to go, Joesph Mills the left back  with a fantastic strike from the end of the box that nestled in the bottom right corner of the net.

Wrexham attacked straight from the kick off with Jennings knocking a ball into the box and Holroyd got the slightest of touches but the keeper got the better of it.

Second half

Wrexham made one change at the half with Paul Rutherford coming on for Chris Holroyd onto the left side of the front three.

Rutherford looked very lively from the off and his tenaticity created chances early on.

Fondop equalised 4 minutes into the second half after pouncing on a rebound off the crossbar, much to the delight of the Wrexham faithful.

The game opened up after that and both teams attacked with a lot of flair and quality.

New signing Freddie Hines had a very good first appearance for Wrexham and he was substitued in the 60th minute by our other new signing Stuart Beavon.

In the 65th minute, Forest Green pulled ahead after Laird hit a low cross into the box and Archibald tucked it away from 6 yards out.

Leo Smith replaced Mike Fondop with quarter of an hour to go and Stuart Beavon pushed up as the main striker. 

10 minutes from time, Wrexham were awarded a penalty after Shaun Pearson was brought down in the box. 

Luke Summerfield took the spot kick and sent the keeper the wrong way to equalise it for the Dragons.

However for all their efforts, Forest Green took the lead 5 minutes from time after a free kick rebounded off the post and George Williams finished as Lainton scrmabled to save it but was just beaten.

Wrexham made some changes after that as Tharme and Carrington came on for Pearson and Roberts but the score finished 2-3 to Forest Green in the Dragons last pre season fixture before the season opener away at Dover Athletic next Saturday.


TEAMS: Wrexham - Lainton, Roberts, Jennings, M.Smith, Pearson (c), Summerfield, Young, Fondop, Holroyd, Hinds, Wright. Substitutes - Dibble, Carrington, Rutherford, L.Smith, Beavon, Tharme.

Forest Green Rovers - Sanchez, Shephard, James, Rawson, Winchester, Doidge, Williams, Gunning (c), Mills, Reid, Hollis. Substitutes - Montgomery, Laird, Collins, Gribb, Simpson, Campbell, Pearce, Archibald, Davies.


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube