MATCH REPORT | Wrexham U18's 0-3 Blackpool U18's

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sun 25 Nov 2018

Wrexham Under-18's three game unbeaten run came to an end on Saturday, as three goals in the space of less than 10 minutes sealed victory for Blackpool.

The Dragons failed to make a break through in a first half that they dominated with penalty appeals waved away and a goal chalked off for offside, and they were made to pay as substitute Owen Watkinson scored a hatrick within fifteen minutes of coming on.

Wrexham Head of Youth Dan Nolan was forced into making some changes ahead of the game with Kyle Robinson-Murray and Jack Thorn out through suspension. Meanwhile Pat Jones and Cian Williams were also involved having represented Wales in the Victory Shield during the international break.

In the opening exchanges it was end to end stuff but neither side could craft an oppurtunity and test each respected goalkeeper. The first moment of note fell on ten minutes as a scramble in the box led to Matty Sargent being brough down in the box, appeals for a penalty were waved away by referee Adam Davies and the Wrexham skipper was handed a yellow card.

The Reds applied pressure on the Blackpool box and as a delivery was cleared a second ball came in that was flicked on by Jake Bickerstaff for Bobby Beaumont to hammer over the bar from inside the area.

Just before the half hour mark Nathan Shaw ran through from the middle of the park and found himself one on one with Ben Tinkley, but could only smash the ball against the post. Wrexham responded as Dylan Allshorn broke down the left and was hacked down 25-yards out, Sargent stepped up for the free-kick but his effort sailed over the bar.

Moments before half-time Wrexham had the ball in the back of the net as Sargent's free-kick from the left was headed home by Max Cleworth, but the assistant rose is flag for offside.

Half-Time: 0-0

The first real chance of the second half fell to Wrexham after the hour mark was Bickerstaff pounced on a defensive error and was set through, he was brought down on the edge of the box and following the free-kick the ball fell to Pat Jones in the box who's shot was blocked.

Blackpool began to come into the game in the last 20 minutes as substitute Max Rogers unleashed a shot from 25-yards that whizzed past the post. They'd finally make a breakthrough a minute later though as a cross from Shaw was headed home by Watkinson, grabbing a goal six minutes after coming off the bench.

Two minutes later a long ball was latched on to by Watkinson once more who ran through to slot the ball past the goalkeeper to double the lead. He completed an impressive quick-fire hatrick seven minutes later as he rifled in a shot from outside the box with enough power to leave Tinkley helpless between the sticks.

Wrexham couldn't find a way back into the game as the Blackpool sucker-punch handed them maximum points on the road.

Wrexham: Tinkley, Hughes, Perry, Cleworth (Williams ('79), Beaumont, Butler, Allshorn (Parry '61), Sargent (c), Bickerstaff, Jones, Huxley.
Subs: Allen, Heald.

Blackpool: Kellitt, Williams, Winstanley, Maddox, Avon (Turner '72), Ravenscroft (Rogers '50), Graham, Shaw, Bange, Kanga, McGladdery (Watkinson '65).
Subs: Sinclair, Smith.

Referee: Adam Davies
Assistants: Shaun Ivison, Joe Wilson


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube